Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.


Topics - 29palms

Pages: [1]
1
Build Reports / Dirtbaby
« on: August 20, 2016, 06:12:17 AM »


Hi all, here's my successful Dirtbaby which apparently makes me a  'genius' lol, too much credit Madbean ;]

Anyway it went without a hitch apart from testing when at first I didn't realise I needed to hook up both sets of inputs/outputs, perhaps a note about that in the build report for us less gifted geniuses?



Even though this is really well designed too make the wiring easy, I can still make a pig's ear of it! I messed up the slam switch and had to redo it— too embarrassing to tell you what I did wrong  :-[

Finished with Posca pen over flourescent red acrylic.



great sounding delay, thanks Brian.

2
Build Reports / another cardinal and some stuff that went in the crash…
« on: February 27, 2016, 08:37:31 AM »
I originally wanted to put my Cardinal Trem in a 1590b but didn't have the chops to get it in there, so I ended up sticking it in a BB.
A couple of builds later, I still had the box, with some wonky holes drilled so I bought another pcb and went for it—


One of the problems I had first time round was my plan to have the switch where the LED is and vice versa, but that makes it impossible to get the base on the enclosure. This time I just managed to squeeze the switch in. The wirings getting slightly better and I am trying out a TH customs bypass as I had some switch pop from my old cardinal.


Lost in the crash—

a multiplex jr


the magical Surfy Bear FET reverb


thanks for looking!

3
General Questions / Surfy Bear / buffers
« on: May 07, 2015, 10:24:04 AM »
Hi all,
just built a Surfy Bear FET Reverb and have a question.

I built this to replace my Hardwire RV-7 (fantastic pedal BTW). I plugged the Surfy Bear  in before my Cardinal trem, where the RV-7 normally sits on my board and I got a very quiet reverb signal compared to dry even with the mix up full.

If I run the Surfy Bear into the RV-7 and then to the Cardinal it sounds great. Would I be right in thinking this is  a buffering thing?

thanks,
George

4
Build Reports / Magnavibe and Cardinal
« on: April 13, 2015, 12:23:44 PM »
Hi all,

here's a couple of tremolos, first up Mark's Magnavibe layout from Tagboard effects.




I still haven't got the artwork technique down yet so I had to touch up with a sharpie, which then smudged with the varnish…

The wiring's slightly neater than my last effort and I was pleased the hand rolled vactrol worked, especially as it smoked a bit when I heat shrank it :o

Although it sounds nice, a subtle wobble, I wasn't that happy with the depth of this so I decided to build a Cardinal tremolo.



I needed to get this done for a rehearsal so I just glued an inkjet print onto the box and varnished it. Is there a problem with doing this? No-one else seems to do it that way? Anyway I guess Chinese new year had an influence.



The wiring's a  real mess — in a fit of temporary insanity I  attempted to get this into a 1590A — way out of my league at the moment! When I realised it was never going to happen I had to revise the plan. I didn't want to desolder the wires from the board, having already lifted a pad after soldering the wave pot incorrectly, so it's joined up wires and heat shrink all round…

Anyway it sounds amazing and you can get so many different sounds out of it. I really recommend this to any trem fans out there who haven't built one yet and big thanks to Jon for designing this thing!
ta
George

5
Build Reports / SpacePlex build
« on: August 15, 2014, 09:10:20 AM »
Hi All,

this is my first build, a Nocturne Brain Seltzer and Echoplex preamp from tagboard effects in one box. I thought these would be simple enough for a relative noob to build and despite a few hiccups on the brain seltzer I'm pleased with the sound.

The brain seltzer gives a nice clean boost and the tone control adds a bit of twang (I had to change the 100n for 10n to get anything useful from the tone pot).

The echoplex can do clean boost up to a bit of crunch at full gain. I swapped the 3k3 in the layout for a 2k2 in series with a 4k7 pot to get a useable gain control.

I can also get a nice crunch with them both on, kind of like  Angus Young or Pete Townsend with the volume at half on their guitar.

Lessons learned—

1. don't forget to plug the IC into a the socket before testing (what a dumbass!)

2. I need to get better at soldering jacks/switches/pots

3. The box was much more of a PITA than the circuits themselves...


Graphics Fail Two- I used t-shirt paper and it wrinkled up like this  - too much heat?



Graphics Fail Three- Gel medium transfer - didn't use enough gel...



Graphics attempt Four - still looks rough but I couldn't face sanding and trying a fifth time, it's got imperfections, scratches and the varnish has yellowed it a bit so I think I'll say I planned it that way, it's vintage! ;]



here's the guts - I know - the wiring's a mess...


6
Introductions / hi
« on: May 10, 2014, 05:01:48 AM »
hi all,

I've been playing guitar on and off for around 25 years — though you might not believe that if you heard me play ;)

I made some effects from Craig Anderton's book about 15 years ago and I thought I might have another go...

I'm playing in a surf band right now so I'm thinking of building the surfy bear spring reverb project so I'm sure I'll be picking your brains / begging you to bail me out in no time!
ta
George

Pages: [1]