News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Zeropoint Technical question

Started by jimilee, June 11, 2013, 12:03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

Can you wire a 3p4t on the Zeropoint sdx without the breakout board, if say a guy was interested in doing something like that?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

RobA

As long as you make the right connections, I don't see why it would matter. I haven't built mine yet, but I was planning on using two on/off/on DPDT switches instead of the 3P4T. That would make some switch positions that might not make sense (or maybe they would). But, I just don't like the rotary switches. I was just planning on following the traces on the main PCB to figure out where to connect the DPDT's.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

midwayfair

Given that I ended up with solder bridges in the PCB sammich, I wish I'd done this, to be honest. Just be really, really precise about which pin goes to which pad ...

jimilee

Quote from: RobA on June 11, 2013, 01:00:08 PM
As long as you make the right connections, I don't see why it would matter. I haven't built mine yet, but I was planning on using two on/off/on DPDT switches instead of the 3P4T. That would make some switch positions that might not make sense (or maybe they would). But, I just don't like the rotary switches. I was just planning on following the traces on the main PCB to figure out where to connect the DPDT's.
This sounds like a plan,now how would you wire it I wonder, with like an spst switch?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

RobA

I haven't thought my plan through very well  ;D, but here was the idea:

At MODEA and MODEB Just Y each lead to go to the respective center pins of two DPDT's.  Put Analog and Tape on one switch and Deep and Shimmer on the second switch.

So, two DPDT's, say S1 and S2. Label the center pins S1A, S1B and S2A, S2B where the A and B match up with the A and B on the original switch (MODEA and MODEB).  Then S1A switches between pins 1 and 2 and S2A switches between 3 and 4. S1B switches between pins 5 and 6 and S2B switches between 7 and 8.

When either switch is in the center off position, it takes both of that switches filters out of the circuit entirely. So to mimic the original rotary, you put one switch in off and select with the other.

But, here's where it gets weird and I don't know how well it will work but you could use both switches on at once and have an Analog-Shimmer or an Analog-Deep or Tape-Shimmer and Tape-Deep.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

jimilee

Quote from: RobA on June 11, 2013, 02:13:31 PM
I haven't thought my plan through very well  ;D, but here was the idea:

At MODEA and MODEB Just Y each lead to go to the respective center pins of two DPDT's.  Put Analog and Tape on one switch and Deep and Shimmer on the second switch.

So, two DPDT's, say S1 and S2. Label the center pins S1A, S1B and S2A, S2B where the A and B match up with the A and B on the original switch (MODEA and MODEB).  Then S1A switches between pins 1 and 2 and S2A switches between 3 and 4. S1B switches between pins 5 and 6 and S2B switches between 7 and 8.

When either switch is in the center off position, it takes both of that switches filters out of the circuit entirely. So to mimic the original rotary, you put one switch in off and select with the other.

But, here's where it gets weird and I don't know how well it will work but you could use both switches on at once and have an Analog-Shimmer or an Analog-Deep or Tape-Shimmer and Tape-Deep.
Would you sell me your 4p3t breakout board then?

RobA

Quote from: jimilee on June 11, 2013, 02:15:15 PM
Would you sell me your 4p3t breakout board then?

No. But I will just give it to you. Let me think through my demented plan and if I can convince myself that it will work (and I'm already pretty sure that it will) then I can mail it to you. I should be able to figure it out tonight.

LaceSensor

You can just wire it manually. Check my build report I already documented this...

jimilee

LaceSensor

Here you go

Top to bottom on pcb

1 - A
2 - B
3 - 1
4 - 5
5 - 6
6 - 2
7 - 4
8 - 8
9 - 3
10 - 7

jimilee

RobA

OK, I'm convinced I want to do it with the toggles. If you still want the board, let me know and I will send it to you.