News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Using Dark T-shirt transfer to get white

Started by billstein, May 30, 2013, 05:08:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billstein

Rather than hijack a build thread I thought I'd start a new one. I'm not sure if I've put this in the right forum, maybe it should have been in the build reports.

sonarchotic stated in his Ram's Head 'extra creepy' thread. A killer build!
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=10012.0

Quote from: sonarchotic on May 30, 2013, 02:53:02 PM
I need to figure out a better way to do water slide decals on dark background. I have to mask off the face, paint it white then apply the decal which gives me an awkward border. Would the white background decals fix this issue?

I wanted to show that white is possible with dark t-shirt transfer paper. Print it out on a color inkjet then iron it on. I think this would look killer combined with a glossy Envirotex like sonarchotic used in his build.

Anyway, these are pedals I built more than 10 years ago, right before I kicked the habit. You can see the white in them. That comes from the transfer paper because it is white. So, wherever there's no ink its white not clear.

I had coated these with epoxy but it was a pain. I'm itching to try this technique with Envirotex. The learning curve never stops!

sonarchotic

Cool, thanks! I will try this method next. The photos kind of hides how obvious the border is on my pedal and the crack headed sharpie tear repair I did but I would love to figure out a way to make it seamless and have the gloss finish. Great looking builds! What are the extra switches on the Small Stone?

billstein

Quote from: sonarchotic on May 30, 2013, 05:32:52 PM
What are the extra switches on the Small Stone?

To be honest I'm not sure. If I remember right the "Color" is a tone control. The Vibrato makes the rate quicker and the Phase deepens the effect. I never really used the pedal because it had such a large volume drop. I was planning on putting a stratoblaster or LPB-1 in to boost it but because of time and money and... stopped building. This had been sitting in a box for over 10 years until I was drawn into the addiction again. Maybe I'll finally get it working correctly.

Willybomb

Just a +1 thumbup to the t-shirt transfer thing.  I've used it twice with great results (little angel and krankosaurus) - once you get the clearcoat to work properly!  I've also stuck medium thickness card on an enclosure which worked well, but it took a stack of clearcoat to finish it properly.