News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Echo-Matic: how to turn a cassette deck into a delay

Started by lincolnic, May 31, 2013, 01:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lincolnic

I'm giving this its own thread, so as not to further derail the Belton-based reverbs conversation.

I found the pedal I was talking about - it's the Echo-Matic. I'm not sure what book this actually comes from, but check all of this out:

drezdn

I could swear that I've seen someone post a working build of this project. I thought it was on the BYOC forum, but can't find it.

stecykmi

man maybe i should keep my eyes open for an old tape deck...

midwayfair

Quote from: drezdn on May 31, 2013, 03:40:11 PM
I could swear that I've seen someone post a working build of this project. I thought it was on the BYOC forum, but can't find it.

DIYSB, but the pics are gone.

Moosapotamus might have built it too. He used to have that on his site.

lincolnic

Quote from: midwayfair on May 31, 2013, 05:06:39 PM
Moosapotamus might have built it too. He used to have that on his site.

Yeah, those pictures are actually linked from an archive.org copy of his site - the site itself seems to have vanished into the ether.

lincolnic

I just realized - if you guys downloaded Brian's "Electronics Library", this project is actually in the "stompboxcookbook" folder. I knew I had this on my hard drive somewhere!

artstomp

..its from The Stompbox Cookbook, 2nd Edition, by Boscorelli

ch1naski

I have that book.....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
one louder.

spaceboss

jtn191

There's a guy on Flickr who did something similar with two walkmans

jimilee

Good luck putting that thing on your pedal board! Multiplex sounds just like that, Nice work!
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

GhostofJohnToad

watching that video made me wonder about one of his last statements about tape speed.  How well would this concept work with say an old tascam 4-track and its variable speeds?

lincolnic

Quote from: GhostofJohnToad on June 01, 2013, 07:37:14 PM
watching that video made me wonder about one of his last statements about tape speed.  How well would this concept work with say an old tascam 4-track and its variable speeds?

It'd be fine. Actual tape machines have variable speed controls as well. The slower the speed, the more delay time you get out of it, since it's increasing the amount of time it takes for a location on the tape to travel between the record and playback heads.

culturejam

I'll repeat (har-har) my suggestion of using an 8-track player/recorder. One benefit would be that the tape flips itself when you get to the end. Also, the tape in an 8-track is twice as wide as that of a casette. So in theory, it should offer better fidelity.

Here's some background:
http://www.8trackheaven.com/archive/work.html

http://www.estecho.com/gear/tape_delay_media.php

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

ch1naski

I used to have a couple of reel to reel machines, I had them set up like a Fripp machine....two stools, a machine on each, and the distance between them dictated the echo time. 

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
one louder.