News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Harbinger Now with Sound files

Started by billstein, June 04, 2013, 04:33:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billstein

Finally finished this bad boy. Great sounding pedal even though I can't fit a light shield in there right now. The light is already hitting on the lid. When I have the energy I'll go back in and try to remedy that. Does it matter that much since it is in darkness when the box is closed up? Should have followed Pryde's suggestion of using a 125BB to get a little more depth.

It is stock except for R46 being 4k7 instead of 47k.

Faceplate

The pedal for now. I might try this in a black box eventually.

I add these sound files below. I couldn't figure out how to embed the soundcloud file. I recorded this straight into the computer. I want to try getting a mic and recording the amp, I think it would be a lot warmer.

First one is my attempt at Little Wing. It is the Univibe alone.
Second in the style of Trower's Daydream. It is a GreenBean in front of the Univibe.
Third a bit heavier. It is a RangeMaster into a Big Muff (built to Skreddy P19 specs) into the Univibe.

My apologies to Hendrix and Trower.

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/billstein/univibe-lw[/soundcloud]

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/billstein/univibe-dd[/soundcloud]

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/billstein/univibe-heavy[/soundcloud]

twin1965

QuoteAlso, I need to order an enclosure. Will this fit in a 1590BB?

Yes it will. I have mine nearly finished. Just have to do the wiring and I'm done.

Great looking faceplate!

Rockhorst

Wow! That faceplate is absolutely gorgeous! I'd almost ask if I could order one from you ;) Care to share how you did it?

pryde

Wow is right. Its like an improved version of the one I did  :o

Please share some details

billstein

Quote from: pryde on June 04, 2013, 12:44:06 PM
Wow is right. Its like an improved version of the one I did  :o

Please share some details

I don't think this is an improved version of yours, just a different approach. You're etch was amazing and inspiriing!

I was hesitant to use Hendrix because you had already done it, but I only had two choices, Hendrix or Trower. The artwork for Hendrix was much better, plus Hendrix inspired me to play guitar, so it had to be him.

I have to run right now but tonight I'll try to put up some thoughts on how I did this.

billstein

For those who asked me to share how I did this faceplate.
First of all it was not planned in any way. Yesterday I had done 3 different etches and all of them turned out terrible. The first two I tried with PNP and the last one, the one I posted was with magazine paper. It turned out worse than the other two. It was pitted and irregular. I was so frustrated because I usually have pretty good luck with etching. Before I threw another one away I thought I'd mess around with it to see if it could be salvaged at all.

So here are the steps.

1. I took a regular red chisel tip marker and coated it about 3 or 4 times. Didn't like that so I took paper towels and started wiping it. This created some of the darker red areas. The marker kind of globbed up on itself (If that makes sense).  

2. Still didn't like it. So I took acetone on a paper towel and started wiping and daubing in areas. This gave it more of a mottled look.

3. Still didn't like it. The red was looking better but the black type was not popping out at all. There was no life to it.

4. I was about to throw it away but decided to try one more thing. Got some sand paper out and sanded around the univibe title and suddenly that popped out. I did that around all the type. Then around Hendrix face. Then the edges. I basically beat it up for being a bad boy and not turning out right in the first place. I used different combinations of sandpaper, coarse to fine, until I got it where I wanted it. I also varied the direction of the sanding, straight lines and circular. I would caution to go slowly with this because I think it would be really easy to sand too much.

I want to experiment with this more. I really like the way it turned out and it is much more alive when you see it in person. The photo loses some of the underlying shine of the copper.

The problem in duplicating the look might  be that a big part of the look is because the etch was so bad. I don't know what it would have looked like if I was able to etch at all yesterday.  

Anyway guys , I hope that helps. It would be great to be able to give something back to the community here.  If you have any more questions please feel free to ask.

And I do want to thank all the guys whose builds are so beautiful. Every day we are all challenged to become better at this because of your talent.

Pryde I'm just returning the favor. I asked you how you did your great Univibe etch. I have that thread bookmarked and will refer to it next time I etch an enclosure.

gingataff

Nice! Lucky accidents are where the best ideas come from.

Next time do one in purple  8)

billstein

Quote from: gingataff on June 06, 2013, 01:15:00 AM
Next time do one in purple  8)

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe do a whole Hendrix set up with the Retrograde and then a Fuzz Face in different colors. Kind of like EH did.

billstein

I kind of asked this in the first post but wanted to rephrase it a bit. Has anybody built the Harbinger with a light shield. When you put the Shield on did it make a lot of difference? Also, did you use reflective material inside of it?

Reason I'm asking is I will have to do a lot of extra work to try and create some room for a shield. The bulb is already just hitting the lid. If its not worth it I don't want to go through the hassle.

Thanks guys for your help.

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Hangingmonkey

I didnt try seeing what happens without the light shield and the lid closed. 
I used the small bulb alternative as listed in the BOM, the one thats shorter and that left more than enough space.  I used a wine bottle cap (from those minature 175ml bottles of wine) for the light shield which was a perfect fit and i didnt bother lining it with reflective material and mine turned out good (to my ears at least).

billstein

I think I'll order that smaller lamp and give that a try?

Another question. For those who used an 18v PSU where did you put the filter board? I have mine tucked under the pcb by the stomp switch. That's raising the board up just a bit.

DutchMF

That looks to good to actually put your foot on....... almost! Freakin' good build man, enter this in the comp and make Midwayfair a happy man!  ;)

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

twin1965

Great looking build. I really need to learn how to etch faceplates!

GrindCustoms

Oh wow, that's beautiful sir!
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/