News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Etching Issue

Started by Guybrush, June 09, 2013, 09:58:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davent

Quote from: Guybrush on June 14, 2013, 02:13:53 PM
Cheers for the info. I've never heard of stannous chloride before. All the tutorials always talk about FC. Is it the same process? Why is it better?

I've spent 20mins hand sanding the enclosure and got nowhere with it. I could buy a belt sander but it'd probably be cheaper just to but a new enclosure.

On a side note, can you use a small hand sander (like a black and decker mouse) to sand an enclosure ready for an etch or is it better to do it by hand?

I'm assuming you're in the UK, seems it shouldn't much of a problem to get the stannous chloride.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/kitchen-home/dp/B004JFA6I8
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

das234

Has anyone done a successful toner transfer without first sanding the enclosure?  I didn't sand mine and my toner isn't transferring.  I think sanding it might help. 

Getting tired of the 30 second auto-off safety feature on my iron too (guess it keeps the house from burning down though).

ch1naski

The sanding is essential. gotta clean the metal and get it flat. And clean it with acetone.
I sometimes just lay a piece of sandpaper on the ground and rub the box back and forth on it.....
Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
one louder.

hammerheadmusicman

^ that's what I always do. Also, get a cheapo flat non-steam iron. The no holes in the plate factor always helps me..

George
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

das234

Good advice, both of you.  I'm still playing with different magazine papers to see what works.  I really don't want to spend $15-$20 to buy a package of paper I won't ever use.  I did a test on the bottom cover of my enclosure and it came out ok but your tips will help. 

For my next attempt, I'm going to try some glossy ads from my Sunday newspaper.  Also, I inverted the black and white in the image for my next try as I think it will look better.

Is there a special pen to use for any touch ups or is my Sharpie the best tool for the job?

icecycle66

Quote from: nieradka on June 15, 2013, 12:37:48 PM
Stannous (tin) chloride is used to etch aluminum plate for printmaking and similar processes, we use it at my work.  It etchs more evenly and is a more stable reaction. I dont think it produces hydrogen gas, and doesnt produce much heat. Im not sure if it is easily available.

I found this stuff.
https://stannous-chloride.com/sc-100g.html

Any info on how to use it?

hammerheadmusicman

nail polish is pretty good for patching up, but you can't do the really fine stuff with it..

Geoge
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..