News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Snarkdoodle WHRL clone video

Started by chromesphere, January 26, 2011, 12:40:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chromesphere

Hey,

Wanted a simple build, so built the Snarkdoodle. Just finished a quick demo video of the Snarkdoodle and the Big Muff Pi.  Hope you like it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amDDsiG8L_g

Paul
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

FuzzMonkey

chromesphere

Oh, and heres some photos.  Inspired by some of the immaculate entrails of other peoples builds, i have also shown the guts of this pedal.  I really tried to keep my wiring neat with this one.  Still looks like a mess...!  :o

Also went for a 'polished silver' look.  Looks more sort of brushed silver, something different anyway...

*** Thanks FuzzMonkey!

[attachment deleted by admin]

lincolnic

Love the polished enclosure - did you just sand it for a while, or was there more work involved?

chromesphere

Thanks Lincolnic. 

I wet sanded up to, i think it was 1200 grit.  Then i used Brasso on it (i metal polish).  I put it on pretty thick and let it sit there for 10 mins approx before removing.  I found the Brasso gave it a bit of extra shine.  I used Brasso on it about 5 times.

Still couldnt get a 'Mirror Finish" though. I'm assuming the aluminium is low quality or something...just couldnt get it to shine anymore...turned out having more of a brushed finish.  Still looks good though!

The knobs are from Jaycar for any aussies out there reading.  They are expensive at 2 bucks each but they are the best quality knobs i've found (so far).

Paul.

jkokura

To ge mirror you have to get a lot higher with the sandpaper. I use:

You have to spend a lot of time with the low grit paper the longer the better. I wet sand starting at 400. Use a power sander for the low grits if you can. 5 min with each value equals hours by hand.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

chromesphere

Wow, 2500....!!  Didnt know it existed lol. 

You know, i think i'm going to get some,  pull the pedal part, and give it another crack!

Thanks for the tip!

Paul

madbean

Yeah, for those high grits you should try an Auto Shop. They are likely to have them.

I use Brasso for polished finishes, too. But, I only do one pass cause I roll like that.

Very nice work, chromesphere! I humbly suggest getting rid of that white washer on your switch though. Go industrial to compliment the rest of the design!

jkokura

Yeah, I get my high grits at an auto shop.

I forgot to mention that I then use a buffing wheel attached to a drill press and some aluminum polish as well.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

chromesphere

Ahhh...one particular hardware store only had up to 1200-1400 grit...ok ill try an autoshop, thanks for the tip.

Good idea!  When i have a go at the finish again, i will get rid of the plastic ring...didnt think of that.

I'm imagining i wont need to Brasso so many times if im using higher grit paper too.

Paul

gtr2

do you just use a regular vibratory hand sander Jacob?

that's a lot of grit sizes!  guess you need to shop to not spend a fortune on sandpaper   :D
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer