News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Curious. What do you do for a living?

Started by das234, June 16, 2013, 04:04:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

Quote from: fendman on June 17, 2013, 05:12:03 PM
Didn't realise all you guys had such really interesting jobs, I am an ex TV/Video engineer, I know I am classed as a dinosaur. Technology moving so quickly more or less saw me off...as did the Myochardial Infarction a couple of years ago. But, hey I am still here and getting stronger everyday :) I always say to myself there are so many people out there a lot worse of than you.

I have a lot of admiration for the guys who work in all the various hospital departments, they  do a great job  8)
I see a few of the guys here work in that field..Well done.

So building pedals and playing the guitars most days is a great satisfaction, its something I really cherish and hope I can keep doing for some time to come. And nearly forgot...laughing with Jimilee :)

Enjoy
Mike
I'm glad someone else besides myself enjoys my randomness!
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

micromegas

Quote from: ChrisM on June 17, 2013, 05:01:53 PM
Electrical Engineering student, done my under graduate in about 10 months.

The last 1.5 years I've been on a work term working for the major power transmission/distribution company in this province. Fun stuff but got to go back to school in September and finish my degree.

Also work part time for a local amp company in the city building amps and doing the odd repair work/service calls.

Electrical Engineering Student too (in Spain it is called Telecommunication Engineering but is basically the same as EE). I left my  career in music (Classical Guitar) aside to get into EE, but I'll finish next year and maybe I'll have  enough time to return to my guitar studies...

'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

mysticaxe

I make drugs...  No really, I do...  (if you ask my 7 year old, it's medicine)

Manufacturing development for clinical trial materials at a major pharmaceutical company.  Basically, I set up the manufacturing process, watch it performed, and then ship the material off for clinical trials. 

spaceboss

Scumbag POS lawyer here.

I do 95 percent Plaintiff's civil rights litigation. It sure hasn't made me rich--and law school sure made me poor.  :'( But I definitely enjoy the work--even though the stress factor can be very unpleasant.

pickdropper

Quote from: spaceboss on June 18, 2013, 11:22:15 AM
Scumbag POS lawyer here.

I do 95 percent Plaintiff's civil rights litigation. It sure hasn't made me rich--and law school sure made me poor.  :'( But I definitely enjoy the work--even though the stress factor can be very unpleasant.

My favorite lawyer quote I heard recently (from a lawyer I hired):

"95% of lawyers give the rest of us a bad name."

It's probably an old joke, but i hadn't heard it before.  It made me chuckle.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

spaceboss

Quote from: pickdropper on June 18, 2013, 11:56:24 AM
Quote from: spaceboss on June 18, 2013, 11:22:15 AM
Scumbag POS lawyer here.

My favorite lawyer quote I heard recently (from a lawyer I hired):

"95% of lawyers give the rest of us a bad name."

It's probably an old joke, but i hadn't heard it before.  It made me chuckle.

Actually, beyond being a joke, I would put money on that being an accurate statistic, plus or minus 5 percent.  8)

Matt

Quote from: gordo on June 17, 2013, 06:51:25 PM
Quote from: culturejam on June 17, 2013, 05:38:47 AM

No shit?! That's the coolest job so far.  :)

Right? Making pedals has to be mundane compared to fixing a watch!

Actually if I could make a living designing and building pedals all day I'd be in heaven!
Quote from: culturejam on June 17, 2013, 07:02:47 PM
Quote from: Dc10 on June 17, 2013, 03:53:53 PM
[Tag makes a great watch I'd like to get one some day.  I've wanted an Aquaracer for years.

What automatics do you have?

I actually have an Aquaracer chronograph. No kidding, it weighs 7 ounces (200g). It's a beast of a watch!

Other autos: I have a couple Seiko 5 Sports, a mid-grade Bulova, a cheapie Relic, and a surprisingly nice Chinese brand called Parnis that has a power reserve indicator and a retrograde date display.

Other watchs: Luminox (forget which model exactly), Seiko Solar chronograph, cheapie Relic quartz chronograph, and a nice but cheap Casio Tough Solar analog/digital. I also have a couple that I broke that are now in pieces.  :D

You ever do any custom builds? I might be interested in something like that.  ;)

I want a *real* tourbillon movement, even though it's highly impractical and outrageously expensive. The cheapest one I've seen is a Chinese "cheap" model for $600.   :-\

I've never heard of a Parnis watch I'll have to check that out.

Seiko, Bulova and luminox are usually well made.  We had someone trade in an Accutron chrono a while back, I almost bought it.  I couldn't believe it had an ETA 7750 in it!  Could have had it for $400. 

The only toubillion I've seen with my own eyes was ( if I remember right) an Alain Silberstein.  I didn't work on it.  It was bad ass! 

I've heard of the Chinese tourbillion for around $600.  That's just crazy.  The Chinese can seemingly make anything.  I saw an IM Breitling for example, I had no idea it was a fake until I opened it and it had a plastic movement ring and a non-descript movement.  I  always feel bad for the people who buy them.  A lot of them have no idea they own a fake. 

Ive broken more warches than i'd care admit myself.  If you ever have trouble finding a part for one of your broken watches, let me know.  I have access to lots of parts through work.
Matt

ch1naski

This thread is perfect timing for me. I'm desperate to change my career. There is a plethora of jobs I'd never thought of, and a couple that were previously unimaginable.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
one louder.

das234

Quote from: ch1naski on June 18, 2013, 07:05:39 PM
This thread is perfect timing for me. I'm desperate to change my career. There is a plethora of jobs I'd never thought of, and a couple that were previously unimaginable.

So, it's off to eyeball sucking school then?

pickdropper

Quote from: das234 on June 18, 2013, 07:51:55 PM
Quote from: ch1naski on June 18, 2013, 07:05:39 PM

So, it's off to eyeball sucking school then?

Judging by this thread, there might be a line to get in.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

garfo

I work in a Marina...boat life/music/pedals, can you see the connection!? ;)

culturejam

Quote from: Dc10 on June 18, 2013, 06:13:42 PMI've never heard of a Parnis watch I'll have to check that out.

They make near-clones of famous brands/models. They don't copy it exactly, and they use their own name on it (so it's clear it is not a $5k watch), so I don't see anything wrong with it. They actually make a super-nice series of Panerai clones (among others):
http://jacksontse.com/new/product-page.php?product_id=79

The site linked above also sells watch kits with all the parts ready to assemble (movement is already put together, so it's just putting on the dial/hands and then locking it down in a case). I've almost ordered the kit about 10 times. :)

The one I have is a IWC clone:

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Willybomb

jimilee

I think if I had to make pedals for a living, I'd grow to hate it. Suddenly you're debugging (but hopefully wouldn't have to) out of necessity and the stress factor increases. You see everytime I turned a hobby in to a money maker, it became a job and after a while I didn't want to do it unless I was making money,so fo rme this is ab escape. As fo rmy job, I work customer care at a call center,and found I'm pretty good at it,which is waay ironic, because I'm mean sarcastic and generally I don't care for people. My family is floored.  ;D
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

madbean

When I lived in Austin, I worked at the University in the libraries and then in the mental health svcs dept. I also worked at a bookstore for a few years (Bookpeople: best job I ever had). I did some freelance graphic design for a year or so. When I was in Dallas years before, I did fundraising for LGBT/AIDS-service organizations (actually a really rewarding gig).

If I had to pick something entirely different than what I do now, I'd like to be a general contractor, a social worker or an entrepreneur. For sure, I would never, ever take a regular desk/office/corporate job again. It is too soul sucking.