News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

uber beginner seeks advice

Started by funky see, June 26, 2013, 01:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

funky see

hey, i'm building my first pedal, it's the Bumblebee with the road rage side car. I ordered almost all of my parts from pedal parts plus but could not find some of the caps- 100n, 4u7, and 1n.. also seeking a 3k3 resistor and an NKT213. I am an absolute beginner so go easy on me.

???

nick

midwayfair

You aren't likely to find any NKT213s. As noted in the build doc, they're very rare now and there's really not any sense in paying what they would cost you anyway. Smallbear Electronics sells a matched 3-transistor PNP germanium set appropriate for the Buzzaround. You could also probably get a matched set of three transistors from Chromosphere - he just posted a web store. They'll be designated as a "Tonebender" set, but it works just as well.

The capacitors you mentioned are extremely common values, in fact 100nF is THE most commonly used value of capacitor in stompboxes. If you're getting the transistors from Smallbear, you could get them there to avoid shipping from multiple suppliers. Otherwise, every online retailer will carry them -- Tayda, Pedal Parts Plus, Mouser, etc. etc. etc.

p.s. mods, this should probably be moved to "beginner's paradise" or tech help.

DutchMF

I could help you out with all that stuff, except the NKT213's, but you might want to look a bit harder or try another source, like Tayda.com. The values you are seeking aren't that weird, so the usual suspects (Tayda, Mouser, Smallbear) should carry them. Good luck on the parts hunt, and if you have any more questions, do ask!!!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

funky see

funky see

for the bumblebee, I can't seem to locate the 100n, 4u7, and 1n capacitor. when I search the links, I'm not finding them?  The 3k3 resistor is also a tough one to find. I was able to get the replacement trans. for the illusive NKT 213. Am I not inputting the names of the capacitors/resistor correctly? i'm just copying what I see on the madbean parts list. sorry if my naivete is showing.

nick

midwayfair

Quote from: funky see on June 26, 2013, 02:09:57 PM
for the bumblebee, I can't seem to locate the 100n, 4u7, and 1n capacitor. when I search the links, I'm not finding them?  The 3k3 resistor is also a tough one to find. I was able to get the replacement trans. for the illusive NKT 213. Am I not inputting the names of the capacitors/resistor correctly? i'm just copying what I see on the madbean parts list. sorry if my naivete is showing.

nick

Link for where you're searching?

murdog47

It is very difficult to source parts from one supplier. Check out these links you will find what you seek  :)

mouser.com
smallbearelec.com
mammothelectronics.com

Mouser is my favorite for components but it takes some time to learn how to maneuver. Good luck!

funky see

hey, i've been to mouser, pedal parts plus, pedal mod parts, mammoth and fromel to name a few.

RobA

Are you looking for the axial caps? If so, they are a bit harder to source and you'll need to go to the more effects related places to find these.

Mouser should have all the ECQ type caps mentioned in the build doc. Just search for ECQ and then narrow to capacitors and then Film Capacitors. Once your are there, you can narrow by the values you need. You need to become adept at converting to the values caps are listed in. For example, the 100nF is going to be listed as a 0.1µF value and a 1nF Could be a 0.001µF or more likely a 1000pF. The 4.7µF caps are electrolytic caps, so you need to search for them under that category and choose whichever you like as long as they match the voltage specs that you need.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

funky see

Thanks so much !!  I've been playing guitar for over 30 years and recently, i've been doing demos for Ethos, Wiz-Pedal, Trombetta, and God Box. I always wondered what went on in these boxes so i'm off on this diy journey. you can see my demos on my youtube channel (Nick Caiano) One day, i'm gonna demo my own damn box! again...thanks for your patience.

nick

murdog47

No problem! Glad to help. Sometimes sourcing the parts can be more than half the battle  ;D You found a good community to help get you going. A bunch of good folks around here. Don't hesitate to ask questions.

gtr2

Here is a helpful resource as well when you need to convert capacitor values.

http://www.justradios.com/uFnFpF.html

It's also important to note small bear uses MF instead of uF.  They mean the same thing, he just uses the old MF nomenclature.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

funky see

Thanks so much everyone. I was able to order everything on my parts list ! It's amazing to see all the choices when it comes to components and it seems that paying more for a particular part doesn't necessarily mean that it will sound great in a box. Again, thanks for the help.

Nick

Jean-Rock

Quote from: murdog47 on June 26, 2013, 05:10:20 PM
Quote from: funky see on June 26, 2013, 01:06:53 PM
100n, 4u7, and 1n.. also seeking a 3k3 resistor
???

nick

4u7

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Vishay-BC-Components/MAL202138478E3/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtZ1n0r9vR22ciSY6ngmHpLokzq0e12LVQ%3d

100n

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Cornell-Dubilier/150104J100BB/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMv1cc3ydrPrF%2fUH96ueUpCvcEDiXgKCEiA%3d

1n

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Cornell-Dubilier/150102K630BB/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMv1cc3ydrPrF%2fUH96ueUpCvtuzHE1hNmD8%3d

3k3 resistor

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/KOA-Speer/MF1-4DC3R30F/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMu61qfTUdNhGyWJXWeCdXjmOtoOr%2fNyRlE%3d

The caps I looked up are the axial ones not radial. You can go either way. Usually you can find radial caps cheaper. They are all out there....just gotta do some searching. You may or may not know this but:
100n = 0.1uf
1n = 1000pf

Hope this helps

Carefull with the last link......you mentionned 3k3, but this link is related to 3.3ohm.......It would be sad to order the bad value.........
Jonny Rock the "French Canadian"

Affiliation : Jonny Rock Gear

http://www.jonnyrockgear.com