News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sabertooth fuzz

Started by krafty, February 01, 2011, 03:26:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

krafty

This is my first MadBean buildup and my 3rd pedal build.  The first was a GGG OSQ compressor which went pretty well.  Second was another WM clone based on the "fuzzy elephant" stripboard layout.  I built this Sabertooth-based box for a couple of reasons:
1)  I wanted to see how it compared to the stripboard version I built up
2)  I wanted to see how MadBean's PCBs worked out (very well, btw). 
3)  It's winter in Michigan and I'm bored silly.

Front:

Gutshot:

I ended up using a pre-drilled enclosure from PPP, primarily because I suck at measuring and drilling (which is one reason why my first WM build was less than ideal).  Except for 2 problems with the LED, this box works flawlessly.  Because of the layout of the PCB the ideal location for the LED was not where the LED hole was drilled in the enclosure.  I routed 2 wires under the double-sided tape below the PCB to make it work, but when I feel confident enough to drill my own again I'll put it where it naturally sits on the board.  Unfortunately my LED seems to be a dud, as it doesn't light and everything tests out OK.  I may pull it and put in another one but it's going to be a bit of a pain so it's not not high on the list right now.

I'm REALLY interested in building a Macheen or Faultline next, but that'll be a while yet.  Too many other things to do in the meantime.

madbean

Hairy Stinky Elephant....I love it! Nice work.

Here's mine from a few years ago, with a similar theme. This one went to the bass player in my 'band'.

(not trying to hijack your thread!)

Anyway--the LED spots on the boards are generally not going to work for positioning it precisely with an enclosure. Wiring it the way you did is definitely the best approach.

night-B

I love your drawing. So cartoony style! What have you used to draw it?

irmcdermott

HAHA! So, I definitely found that same image on the internet and it is on my Sabertooth as well! That's funny. I found it on some totally random website. I'll post pictures when i get back in town.

krafty

Yeah, the drawing is just from a google image search for woolly mammoth I think.  It's a little monkey riding on one.  :)  I used a Testor's clear inkjet waterslide decal (I don't recommend them, the colors bleed horribly) on a sort of transparent copper paintjob.

I picked the name thanks to my daughter - she was watching some random show on NickJr and I heard something about "A mastadon is basically a hairy, stinky elephant" and it fit perfectly!

FuzzMonkey

Quote from: night-butterfly on February 01, 2011, 06:45:18 PM
I love your drawing. So cartoony style! What have you used to draw it?

+1 for the the drawing.

madbean

The internet is definitely a valuable resource for, uhh, liberating artwork for pedals!

eniacmike

Quote from: madbean on February 02, 2011, 11:34:51 AM
The internet is definitely a valuable resource for, uhh, liberating artwork for pedals!

It's so bad too though. I hate when I try to do graphics for my band and then realize I can't just steal stuff from the internet for commercial purposes. doh! I like to look on wikipedia or older artists for pedal artwork. In the united states any thing older than 100 years is public domain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albrecht_D%C3%BCrer I love this guys stuff!

http://www.godecookery.com/macabre/macabre.htm this page has so many awesome skulls and demons.

madbean

Yeah, I would not advise using someone's artwork in a commercial setting...but I've done it plenty for my personal stuff.

Actually, I have a good friend that's an illustrator...someday I hope to commission him to do some peal gfx for me. I'm decent enough with graphic design, but more limited with illustration. My cartoons are pretty boring!

There's a guy on HCF that does some terrific illustration for pedals. I think Skreddy used him on a pedal. Forget the guy's name, but his work is neat.

irmcdermott

My brother is a graphic artist who does pop/classic comic book art and he's working on a design for a SHO i'm building in a 1590a. I'm pumped about it. I'll post pics once its done. And I'll brag on him, he's awesome, here is his site.

http://www.brushing-up.com/

wilcorocks

+1   I totally dig the art on both pedals.