News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Firebomb

Started by night-B, February 03, 2011, 02:55:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

night-B

I just finished my firebomb, thanks to lincolnic for the help (I made a wiring mistake).
Yet a have another problem with this project. I had a chemical reaction within the spray paint and the clear coat  :-\ The clearcoat made the shining silver paint turning into a grey mate finish...but not under the decal !!!  :'(    Had the same problem with the enclosure I prepared for my rump roast 'cause I made them at the same time. I was so angry I labeled the pots with posca.
I think I'll throw away my clearcoat can and I'll make another enclosure for that pedal.
Even if it's awful, the sound is awesome! It makes my guitar yelling and crunching. Huge amount of gain available. With one gain engaged to 3 or 4, it makes the clean sound sparkly and shiny  :)
Sorry for my english!
Jul

[attachment deleted by admin]

lincolnic

I love how this came out! Nicely done.

nzCdog

Quote from: night-butterfly on February 03, 2011, 02:55:54 AM
Yet a have another problem with this project. I had a chemical reaction within the spray paint and the clear coat  :-\ The clearcoat made the shining silver paint turning into a grey mate finish...but not under the decal !!!  :'(

How annoying... at least it sounds good.

Beerdog80

Paint problems like that are caused by intermixing different types of paint i.e. enamel/lacquer/acrylics. General rule of thumb unless you know exactly what your doing is to not mix the types and even the brands as the resins used to make each one vary and you can wind up with some strange reactions.

Also, laying the paint down in several light coats and giving them time to cure before the next coat is key. 

For off the shelf, ready to spray clear that's got the best and brightest looking clear coat is the testors lacquer wet coat clear.

night-B

I'm extremely carefull now this problem.
Thanks for the advice but it seems that I cannot import Testors cans to my country (I'm french).
I've been pleased by other hobby brands like Tamiya or Humbrol.
For information the clear how used to give me problem is Montana Hardcore Mat clear can (a graph brand)

Beerdog80

Quote from: night-butterfly on February 20, 2011, 09:39:26 AM
I'm extremely carefull now this problem.
Thanks for the advice but it seems that I cannot import Testors cans to my country (I'm french).
I've been pleased by other hobby brands like Tamiya or Humbrol.
For information the clear how used to give me problem is Montana Hardcore Mat clear can (a graph brand)

Well, mat clear is just that.  Flat looking.  Try looking for one that says crystal, high gloss or wet look.  Never heard of those two brands but hopefully they have something high gloss for you.