News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Aristocrat

Started by Rocktifier, February 03, 2011, 07:51:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocktifier

Here's my finished Aristocrat that I built for my brother in law.  Thanks to those who helped me fix my grounding issue.  I probably won't be using the 3PDT wiring boards anymore since they didn't really save me any time.  The enclosure is from Pedal Parts Plus painted in gloss black/cherry.  I like the color of the KOT so I figured I'd do something similar.  It's hard to tell from the pic but the LED's are white and ultra violet.  I used a 250k gain pot for the right side (UV led), changed cap value for C1/C12 as per madbean's suggestion, and subbed 1n914's for the ma856's.  It sounds great!  I had a chance to compare my Aristocrat with a KOT that a session guitarist/producer friend of mine has and he liked mine a hair better.  Thanks for the great build!

Ryan

[attachment deleted by admin]

stevewire

Hey hammy9,
Looks good.  I have one at home waiting to be finished.  The board is all completed with the suggested diodes, JRC4580 and carbon comp resistors in the same spots as the original.  Hopefully I'll get enough time this evening to finish it up.  I also bought my enclosure from PPP in Burgundy.  I've not had a lot of luck doing my own drilling, so they did most of that work except for the two tone pot holes which I did myself.  I do prefer how yours has the in/out jacks on the top/back.  Much better for shorter patch lengths.  Plus with them on the side it is making my enclosure a little more cramped; although, so far I am very happy with how mine looks.

gtr2

Nice build, I really like the color.  I just got a purple kryptonite from them.  FWIW it is a hammered finish and not smooth.  Like others have said, it is really hard sometimes to know what your getting exactly.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

nzCdog

ckalinec

Great Build! How do you go about getting PPP to drill the holes in those certain places like they did for you. I want to do that when I order my enclosure for my Aristocrat from PPP

stevewire

Pedal Parts Plus will do custom drilling if you send them a well measured template.  That is where I fell short of having them do custom drilling for me. And of course if you miscalculate on your measurements the mistake is on you.  Otherwise you can choose from their pre-drilled enclosures.

rowland1

That particular PPP pedal is a standard Pre-drilled enclosure that they sell (1590NS Drilled for 4 Knobs, 2 Switches - Code: 1071). I bough the same one for my Aristocrat.

I did have to drill for the tone pots myself.

I let my 10yo daughter do the artwork. :)

madbean

Very nice guys. I hope you are enjoying them. Would you wait two years to by this stompbox? Actually, I did, but ended up building my own in the meantime.

Don't get me wrong...not dissing Analogman. It's a very nice pedal. But it sure is rewarding to build something for $50 in an afternoon rather than waiting many months to buy it!

rowland1

I finally got my KoT last year. I was not really impressed. Like Bean said, it's a nice pedal but def overhyped. I sold mine to a local guy for what I paid. Then I built my Aristocrat.

ckalinec

Quote from: madbean on February 05, 2011, 02:10:00 AM
Very nice guys. I hope you are enjoying them. Would you wait two years to by this stompbox? Actually, I did, but ended up building my own in the meantime.

Don't get me wrong...not dissing Analogman. It's a very nice pedal. But it sure is rewarding to build something for $50 in an afternoon rather than waiting many months to buy it!

My Exact plans! I'm on this list but I still got a year and a half. I imagine after building this and keeping it for a while I'll just flip the real deal

jkokura

Great job on both of those guys. I appreciate the great work put into both of them!

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Rocktifier

Quote from: ckalinec on February 04, 2011, 06:34:01 PM
Great Build! How do you go about getting PPP to drill the holes in those certain places like they did for you. I want to do that when I order my enclosure for my Aristocrat from PPP

Steve is right about PPP.  However, I drilled the holes myself.  I used the template provided in the build docs and copy pasted them into Word, where I changed the size to fit the actual size of my enclosure (not perfect but I was able to get it pretty close, within 1/16"-1/32").  You can see the size in inches by clicking on "format".  I printed it off and used the holes that I wanted and measured for the ones that weren't on the template.  I taped the paper template to a wood template and drilled the holes.  Now I have a durable template and drilling will be quick anytime I want that layout.  Do the setup work once if ya know what i mean ;)

stevewire

I didn't feel this needed a whole new thread.  This is my first posting of a build.

Urs

Hi you all

I like to hang on the answers. This is my first posting of a build too. The enclosure is drilled and colored  itself, had used the template provided in the build docs. I used a 250k gain pot for the right side with a orange LED, changed the ending cap value to 100nf. Basically I have made a double Bluesbreaker.  ::)

Urs

from switzerland