News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Let's have your feedback, shall we?

Started by madbean, February 04, 2011, 06:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

So, what's working well at madbeanpedals? Are the projects satisfying? Are the documents thorough enough? What would you change? What don't you like, if anything?

I'd like to get some opinions on what's good and bad. Don't worry....I don't take constructive criticism personally. It's the only way things can change for the better!

Just to emphasize: you guys have the power to influence how things operate here. I take feedback seriously, and I'm always willing to make changes if it improves your experience with the site and the projects.

So, let 'er rip!

ckim715

For the most part, I really have no complaints. The quality of your product is outstanding, and the layout of the documents is thorough and easy to follow. Perhaps the only thing I could suggest is take the universal wiring diagrams in the Tech section and move them to a more visible location, i.e. somewhere on the front page.

If anything, I would, with time allowing, of course, finish the madbean website, i.e. the learn and pedals sections. The learn section could be an extremely valuable resource for those who are trying their hand at DIY pedals for the first time; I know I was intimidated the first time around as well.

Other than that, though, I really have no complaints. I am extremely satisfied with madbean pcbs and the forum, and am glad I found this place.
-Charlie

pandadandan

Yeah, delete all of the "coming soon" links.  You can always put them back in when you're ready. 

For first-time visitors, I'd like the projects star to be a different colour, mainly to let them know where the meat of the site is.  Some may click "pedals," see the coming soon screen then hit close window. 

Builds I'd rename as photo gallery or something for the same reasons.  People have a frighteningly short attention span sadly.

Documentation is amazing.  I'd only add a note on any changes made to the original circuits and why you made them.  It would pre-empt any "hey my friend has a xxxxxxxxx and mine sounds marginally different.  WTF??!?!?" issues.

You could probably remove all the drilling template pdf pages and instead add a section of the site devoted entirely to such templates.  THAT would be a kick-arse resource (I'm British...) and no mistake.

Finally, I'd advise against putting projected dates for any new releases or updates.  I'd go for wide ranging and vague as opposed to "Feb 15th" or something.  It must be fucking stressful on your end to impose strict deadlines, and it again gives potential customers a chance to have beef in the "Oy it's Feb 16th and there's no Knickerbocker boards available yet.  WTF?  You promiiiiiiiiiised!"
(you're free to use that name for any upcoming layout by the way  ;) ;D )

There.

My twopenneth. 

Sterling work though.  I don't understand how you can make money at the price point you set, but I hope you make a fuckton. 

eniacmike

Honestly the new build docs are amazing as far as describing how a circuit works (circuit analysis) and how controls work (I especially love this because I hate pedals that have stupid control names like (glass, or pinch, etc), possible mods, really awesome.

My only complaints lately are the projects with mojo parts layouts because I have a decently stocked bench with radial caps and 5mm box caps in most values but when I want to build a project with mojo parts like the rangemaster/snack shack/etc. I have to track down the mojo, most of the build reports I see people end up using box caps and radial electrolytics and bending the leads to fit. anytime there is a layout for mojo there should be links to a source to order the part that was designed to fit it, and maybe list the lead spacing... I know it could be measured but sometimes you order parts before you get your board... I do like the snack shack board where there are holes for mojo and 5mm caps.. stuff like that is cool.

I think hardest part for beginners is sourcing parts, and a lot of the questions on the forum are about parts selection. Maybe a section of the site that shows how to figure out what to order for a project for beginners.

as far as the layouts go they are the best around, especially the newer fabbed pcbs that are wider but shorter (new wolfshirt/boomstick) I like these shorter boards better than a squared board that leaves space on the sides because vertical space is always tight while you can go as wide as a 1590b and be fine. also for me personally I wouldn't care if you dropped the onboard CLR's and led switch pads because I don't use them.

night-B

I agree with Pandadandan, you should remove the unused icons of the main website.
The forum is awesome, the PCBs are flawless, the PDF are great!
The only complaint I have with them is the jack and DC jack pics (the old one for the DC jack, it's ok on the lasts PDF). They litterally don't talk to a noob.
I enjoyed the holliday PIFs, such a great idea.
Keep on the good work! This is definitively a place I'll visit dayly !  :D
sorry for my english

madbean

Okay, this information is terrific. Here's what I gathered:

Clean the website up, and populate or remove unused stuff.
Put some actual tutorials on the site.
Change Builds to Photo Gallery.
Notate any changes or mods I make to the designs in the documentation.
Put the drilling templates on the site rather than in the documents.
Don't put strict deadlines on the new Kinkerbocker releases (LOL).
Layouts for mojo parts only can be frustrating.
Add some helpful info on part sourcing.
Maybe drop the onboard LED stuff.
Make the wiring diagrams more illustrative in terms of jacks, etc.

I agree with pretty much everything here. The website has been left half-done for too long. The lack of pages with content is unprofessional and it does bother me. I've held off on devoting time to it mainly because I want to completely re-design the site and streamline it. I'd like to create an actual store front and make that the home page. A new store front would also allow me to offer other things besides PCBs, like maybe some parts or rarities, etc. I also want to add a "customer/user" area where people can put info about themselves or pictures of their work. Also, I really want to do a monthly "featured builder" on the site. Much of the work here is outstanding and it's a shame for it to be found only in the forum.

The lack of tutorials is definitely very present in my mind. I have wanted to do a complete and thorough tutorial on making/building pedals for quite some time, with HD video and all that. So, maybe it is time to prioritize that for this Spring.

I definitely do want to bring all the documentation into the current form, and I absolutely will. I can change the jacks illustration easy enough.

I'll fix up the layouts for some of the mojo oriented boards so that standard spaced caps can be used. I have done this for a few, but not all.

Lastly, on the release dates. I try to put at least some kind of info there because about 1/4 of the emails I get are "when will such and such be ready". It doesn't bother me, but I guess that's my way of trying to preempt some of those emails.

Sterling work though.  I don't understand how you can make money at the price point you set, but I hope you make a fuckton.  

Everyone in my immediate family/friends says I need to charge more, ha ha. But, I'm doing all right. Most of what I made last year went right back into MBP in one way or another. I have increased prices on a couple of occasions, but they are usually accompanied by reductions to other PCBs at the same time.

Thanks again guys. This is very helpful.

But, this thread isn't over, so please anyone else chime in. I can take it!

night-B

The "build of the month" is such a great idea!
Making tutorials with vids is a huge amount of work, but it's worth the effort!
There will be less noob tech help posts then... And it's sometimes frustrating to gather one information at a time after searching various forums, and reading tons of topics and replies!
A building bible with minimal tech information on each component would be the holy graal of the diy hobyist  ::)

gtr2

I love this site.  I think your price point is right on!  I think if you lower the price it would be difficult for you to keep the gig running and if you raise it you'd get more people etching the layouts instead (maybe? I for one hate etching and drilling them).  I really love the fabbed version pcb's as well, it makes it so much easier with the silkscreen parts and soldering as well!

I'd love to see some stuff in the learn area of the site as well and a parts help section would be great for many new builders.  The easier you make it for new builders the faster you'll sell more pcb's to that new builder.

I think the documentation is great!!!!  Really pretty much the best out there, unless you go with kit from somewhere.

One thing that does bother me a little is the posting of klon clones with the sunking fabbed pcb's I see on ebay, but I know this is something impossible to stop.  I don't mind selling one off pedals to friends or trading with someone etc..but it bothers me of the posting to make a profit of these on ebay.  I think this under minds what your trying to promote here on the site.

It has not been mentioned I don't think..but I really like the trend of less new cloned boutique builds and more original pcb builds like the trem, rump roast etc.  While I still would like to see the cloned stuff I like the idea of some original items that you can't buy from pro guitar shop or the like...

Keep up the excellent work!!  I just wish I could buy more pcb's but I'm so backed up with projects already...and little time.

Josh

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

madbean

Josh,

I'm well aware of the Klon klones that have been floating around recently. In the last month there has been an uptick, actually. I spend at least some time once a week checking out stuff like this. I don't like it, but I also try to remain fair about it. All I can do is say "I don't endorse that". I don't want to be the Clone Police, after all. I have a certain ethic about DIY that is probably a little abstract, and I can understand if others might think it's total BS. But, I'm comfortable with it :)

And, in my mind, there's a difference between selling your work for a fair and reasonable price and then there's profiteering. At least in one case someone had a Klon clone for sale for more than the original unit sold for!! I mean, come on.... ::)

One another note, I have been working with someone recently who is running classes for pedal building and providing an "educator's discount" to help him get started...that's the kind of thing I really like to see happening.

Anyway, you are right on target in terms of the development of projects from this point forward. There will be very few straight clone projects in the future. While it was a good jumping off point for getting things started, I'm much more interested in exploring new designs, or re-tooling classics. I also plan on (hopefully) developing some DIY projects that offer real-time control over multiple effects. That's the kind of thing that will allow people to develop really unique sounds and techniques!

crashguitar

First of all, I love this site. The boards are great, and the forum and build instructions match that quality.

Madbean, I think you mentioned in a post that you would be doing more projects that were not so specifically clones. That is pretty interesting to me. The clone stuff is very cool, but it would be cool to see some more unique things.

Not to take this off topic, but pedal building classes! Who? Where? How do I sign up?

Chad

Mark_McQ

Would love to see a section for audio/vid examples of each pedal. You can usually find someones build demo'd on Youtube, but having a link on the site for each pedal would be handy, so you can hear what each sound like before ordering the board.

rowland1

I think that Madbean is awesome. Best source for pedal pcbs. The documentation is great. Sometimes I get slowed down a bit converting capacitor values from nF to mF, and checking the layout to see if they are electrolytic or not. But that's not a big deal.

Also, I'd like a link on the forum to get back to the Projects site.

Finally, Madbean t-shirts and stickers would be cool!! Thanks!!

plesur

irmcdermott

First of all, I think the forum is awesome. I feel like that out of all of the forums out there, it is the most "noob" friendly. It truly has a great sense of community and everyone is willing to help each other out and not make anyone feel embarrassed for asking those beginner questions we all have had. So, thanks to everyone on keeping that type of environment.

Brian, your work is some of the best out there, and your prices are ridiculously fair, and I've said it before, it's incredible that you willingly include the PCB artwork for people to etch their own boards.

I love the direction the project docs are heading, with in depth circuit analysis and mods.

So that's just some positive feedback. I would say that everything that has been said on some improvements that could be made I agree with and can't think of anything to add to the list.

Thanks for everything you do and the services you provide Brian!

madbean

Okay, video and audio demos is something else that needs to happen ASAP. I totally agree with that. Ideally, I would like to get them done for everything. The biggest hold-up is actually trying to stay current with orders.....it's the thing I worry most about. Just this last week I had more orders in a seven day period than ever before. So, it pushes everything else back. Hell, I've had my new CNC sitting in my dining room for 2 months and I haven't even used it yet!

Also, I'd like to improve my responsiveness with email and PM's. That's another thing that gets de-prioritized when things are cookin'.