News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Let's have your feedback, shall we?

Started by madbean, February 04, 2011, 06:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CRBMoA

Quote from: plesur on February 05, 2011, 10:31:22 AM
Quote from: rowland1 on February 05, 2011, 09:21:00 AMAlso, I'd like a link on the forum to get back to the Projects site.

+1  :)

This is my only issue. Nothing else bothers me. This IS DIY.

Thanks for being here and doing what you do!

Chris

ckim715

Brian, if the order load is so high that you can't even respond to PMs and emails on a timely fashion, I don't think too many people would complain; at least I wouldn't. I'd much rather receive the product on a timely fashion rather than wait 3 weeks for the pcb because you're creating DIY videos. If I run into a problem, that's what the forums are for. The videos would be a good side project when time allows.

Of course, this is my opinion.
-Charlie

gtr2

I agree and if you do videos I only think it be needed for the original projects...
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

JakeFuzz

I think videos should be user submitted, like the Skreddy site. They would, of course, need to be approved, but that saves Brian the time of making a bunch of videos for each pedal. That would also allow people to hear what the effect sounds like under several different setup conditions and playing styles.

masterlk

Great site/forum, I think I've checked it every day since I discovered it, really. From a non electronics background guy, meaning I build/modify by "paint by numbers" and by looking at pictures(build reports)exclusively, your plans(which are the best) and this forum and it's members make it possible for me to build pedals.

I think the current prices for your boards are fair. I have five boards waiting to be built(I am just now finishing my second pedal), if they were more expensive I may not build as many. As they are I don't think much of ordering multiple boards at once. For example...if the Sunking boards were $20 each I would only build one but at the current price I will probably build 3 or 4. One for different pedalboards or for friends. Cool thing is, it's like you have this massive manufacturing force around the country and world making Madbean pedals and sharing them with friends and other musicians, what great advertising for your site!

I like the idea of original or tweaked classics but I remember when I first heard about the Kl_n and how high priced it was. Then discovering the thread of reverse engineering that thing. Really cool stuff. If it wasn't for all that work I would never even have a sniff at owning one. Point is, I think some cloning is essential to interest many that can't afford some of that boutique stuff. I want to build many of the clones that you offer so I can see what a $200 and up pedal sounds like.

Keep doing what you are doing. ;D

mjcyates

Many good ideas. I just want to say I think you have done a fantastic job with this site. Because of you and the many people who frequent this site my pedal building knowledge has increased tremendously over the past year. I think the prices for your products are where they should be. If there are other ways you could use this site to generate revenue to supplement your business (i.e. merchandising, training videos, specialty parts, etc.) that might help. Thanks for all of your efforts!

maysink

Looks like most everything has been touched on but here's my go:

• Release dates: keep 'em vague. I DO think the 'coming soon' text SHOULD stay--it's just good marketing to keep junkies wanting more...
  • A/V demos: they would be nice but consider the above suggestion of madbean-approved user-submitted files as you already sound busy.
  • Project docs: the new style is vastly superior. To deflate wiring questions in the forum, either include wiring diagrams EVERY TIME or provide a hard link to the LEARN page (which leads me to)
  • Dead links: Some articles on the LEARN page would help a lot of newcomers. Links to other resources (beavis audio's page on switches or Stephen's Tips over at the BYOC forum) might encourage/enlighten visitors.
  • Photo essay: Take a real easy build (zombii) and document the construction from beginning to end in photos for new visitors. There might be lurkers hesitant to take the plunge on a non-kit project
  • Price: I'm pretty happy with the current price point--I hope it remains economical to keep it as such!

Basically: KEEP IT UP! This place is pretty exciting and I hope continues to be so.
[nothing to see here]
-e

eniacmike

one thing about the build documents that I really like is most of the new docs have the BOM and the parts layout all on one page. if at all possible please keep this up. I usually print just the pages I need to save paper, and it saves alot looking around too.

madbean

Quote from: eniacmike on February 06, 2011, 03:09:09 PM
one thing about the build documents that I really like is most of the new docs have the BOM and the parts layout all on one page. if at all possible please keep this up. I usually print just the pages I need to save paper, and it saves alot looking around too.

Yep, that was on purpose. I try to keep to one page per phase of building. I am giving the schematics a full page though because some people, like me, never know where their glasses are.

nzCdog

Brian... the site kicks ass and your project documentation and pcbs are fantastic!!!
I've learned lots and you've made this cool hobby very accessible to noobs like myself... THANKS ;D

small fish

QuoteBrian... the site kicks ass and your project documentation and pcbs are fantastic!!!
I've learned lots and you've made this cool hobby very accessible to noobs like myself... THANKS

well,.....everything´s said  :D
awesome site! thx
Guitars are made of trees! Paper is made of trees!
Recycle your paper, so there are more trees left - to make guitars!

r4ndy

Really like the site and build docs - only things I would add are:

*Email list for new product updates - I am not a twitterer
*Spreadsheets with parts boms. The build docs are great, but I would like and easy way to cut/paste the build details into a spreadsheet for ordering.

Oh and a pedal that makes me play like Gilmour :)

jtn191

+1 to pretty much everything above:
we love ya, more of the same, audio demos, tutorials, blah blah, plz keep it cheap haha

Quote from: r4ndy on February 07, 2011, 06:54:17 PM

I'm not either--it may be a hassle to integrate into all the social media, but tip offs/announcements on a Facebook page would get my (and many others) attention after we've drifted off a bit. I noticed Jkoura/Jacob has a facebook page, maybe he has insight to if it's worth it, etc

madbean

I'm not big on the Twitter myself, but there are actually quite of few people following for new release announcements. But, I'm not married to it by any means. A Facebook page could be made, for sure.

gtr2

Quote from: r4ndy on February 07, 2011, 06:54:17 PM
Really like the site and build docs - only things I would add are:

*Spreadsheets with parts boms. The build docs are great, but I would like and easy way to cut/paste the build details into a spreadsheet for ordering.

Oh and a pedal that makes me play like Gilmour :)

Not to derail the tread but you can cut and paste with the pdf files...

Press and hold the alt key while you right click and drag the column you want to copy.  When the area is highlighted hit ctrl c and then click in your spreadsheet where you want to paste and hit ctrl v.  This works for windows.  I don't know about macs.  Hope this helps!

josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer