News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Fender Tweed emulation pedal?

Started by jimilee, July 30, 2013, 10:07:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoodoo

There's a dude called Ronin on DIY stompboxes that sells an Azabache board, good quality too. You might get it in a 125b, and OT, Chi-Boy, i hope the rumour you heard about the tweedy making a comeback, includes the other great discontinued boards as well  ;)

rullywowr

Funny you should mention this.  I was working on the Azabache and stumbled upon this thread.  Layout is for a 1590B and has PCB mounted pots and switches (because I hate offboard wiring).  All the other layouts didn't seem to have PCB mounted stuff going on.  Layout is done, the DRC checks out fine, just need to do some final tweaks and verifying before I send it off to OP.   

PM me if you are interested as I will have a few extras...just would like to verify its not a dud first.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/73135424/Azabache/Azabache%201.0%20pic.png

8)

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

Chi_Boy

Quote from: hoodoo on August 08, 2013, 11:16:29 PM
There's a dude called Ronin on DIY stompboxes that sells an Azabache board, good quality too. You might get it in a 125b, and OT, Chi-Boy, i hope the rumour you heard about the tweedy making a comeback, includes the other great discontinued boards as well  ;)

All kinds of rumors are out there.   It's like Melrose Place around here.  There's even one about an 18v T-Wrex with modified booster. 

rullywowr

It's hard to keep a good Chi-Boy down!  Nice man, you make some awesome stuff.

ThePastRecedes

I build stuff for myself, sometimes I do 1 offs, I label them as HornBlende Audio.

rullywowr

Sharp eye!... they weren't in line with the pots (on purpose) as this version had the switches 50 mils towards the inside evenly in order to give the enclosure more room (upper corners). 

I revised it slightly and put the switches in the middle here to alleviate that problem...just about ready to be sent off to the park.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/73135424/Azabache/Azabache%201.0.1%20pic.png

Boba7

Quote from: midwayfair on July 30, 2013, 11:04:07 AM
Azabache x 1000.

I'm just going to list it as my favorite overdrive, and possibly my favorite dirt pedal overall. It's the only dirt pedal except for my winnie the pooh fuzz face that earned a permanent spot on my main board in the last two years (and for a while, it replaced my fuzz face as the only dirt pedal I was using).

The Wampler has slightly more clarity in some settings, and its gain structure is almost identical, but the Azabache for me nudges it out on "feel" (slightly more sponginess) and simplicity (the EQ is surprisingly versatile even without the extra controls). The bright switch on the Azabache is particularly great for the higher gain sounds, because it cuts treble BEFORE the distortion, whereas the Wampler can only cut it after. So the Azabache intermodulates less on higher gain settings, without needing to fiddle with your guitar tone pot when switching your overdrive on and off.

The only change I would make when building the Azabache is to make the last set of diodes asymmetrical.

I really need to make a demo of it. Maybe I'll do that tonight while I'm shooting the vid for my contest entry.

Hey Jon,

Sorry for reviving an old thread but I'm seriously thinking about building an Azabache. I thought about the Black 65 first then saw your message.
Did you use the treble mod to get less treble out of it? (lowering R5 that's connected to pin 1 of the tone pot)
I've always wanted to have a Black 65 but am afraid of all the pots (3 band EQ is too much for me) and it looks a bit tricky to bias. So now I'm thinking of the Azabache.

Cheers! :D