News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sunking ICs & diodes

Started by thoml, February 07, 2011, 06:20:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thoml

I am curious to know what ICs and diodes those who built and use the Sunking ended up choosing - especially those who also might be using a 6v6 powered  amp. Anyone fit into that category?

jkokura

I'm using a Fender Vibro Champ.

I used the stock TL072 and I've tried a bunch of different diodes. I liked the 1n34a diodes best, but the BAT41 and 1N60 diodes were pretty good too.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

madbean

Vox AC15, TCL2272, BAT41. Also sounds good with no diodes for about the first 2/3 of the gain pot.

masterlk

Jackson Ampworks Britain

I settled on the stock TL072 and I tried 1n34a - didn't like these, they sounded dull or flat to me. I did like the BAT41's but they sounded a bit compressed with my amp. I settled on the 1n270 because they seemed to bring out more of the charater in my amp and they seemed less compressed. I did socket those so I may continue to play around with them.

B_of_H

1n270 here

I use a reverend goblin as my 'tiny amp' and I think it sounds great through it.  (I put a Ragin Cajun in there for now but I might go back to the Ramrod) 

edit: the speaker and tone stack values of the amp make a bigger difference than the output tube type IMHO.  There are some 6v6 amps that can handle more mids and bass than others.  Some 10' vintage jensen type speakers seem to get overpowered easily by anything that adds girth.

as far as the opamp I haven't found it makes all that much difference.  I've tried a handful of different ones and I use the 72 in one and I think I have a burr brown in another.