News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Book Recommendation?

Started by CaptainVictory, February 08, 2011, 03:33:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainVictory

Hey all, I'm an apprentice project builder and brand new to the forum.  I enjoy building pedals that others have concocted, but eventually I want to be able to design my own.  In that spirit, I'm looking for a good beginners or "dummies style" book that will give me a better understanding of what the various components do.  I have a basic understanding of how things work, but I want to crank up my understanding of the theory behind it all.

The ultimate goal is to be able to come up with an idea in my head -- for example, "I want an LFO that sweeps a filter" -- and then be able to figure out how to do it.

Any recommendations?

THANKS.

PS -- Although I've only built a few pedals, I'm a quick study.  For example, I taught myself how to build guitars and have built around 10 so far.  Here's a video of a couple I recently built ... enjoy:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLPfQydjYLs
--Rob

Admit nothing.  Deny everything.  Make counter-allegations.

jkokura

I think RG Keen's book is what you're looking for.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

nzCdog

I am reasonably new to electronics and building pedals, but I learned a LOT from Brian Wampler's book "How to build effect pedals"  Great and comprehensive guide to the meat and veges of pedal building.  He has 2 other books as well for the more advanced.

http://www.indy-guitarist.com/diy
If your gonna buy one make sure you sign up for the discount here first
http://www.indyguitarist.com/free/

gtr2

Quote from: nzCdog on February 08, 2011, 08:04:25 AM
I am reasonably new to electronics and building pedals, but I learned a LOT from Brian Wampler's book "How to build effect pedals"  Great and comprehensive guide to the meat and veges of pedal building.  He has 2 other books as well for the more advanced.

http://www.indy-guitarist.com/diy
If your gonna buy one make sure you sign up for the discount here first
http://www.indyguitarist.com/free/

If you have a few builds done I wouldn't recommend these books.  I bought the beginners one and the advanced one for the discounted price (thankfully).  While they are ok they really don't tell you "how things work"  I kinda feel like I wasted my money here and much more free info can be found on the internet.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

CaptainVictory

Thanks guys.  I may give them all a read.  Cheers!
--Rob

madbean

I've got some pdfs that might be useful. Perhaps I should add a library section to the forum?

Haberdasher

Quote from: madbean on February 09, 2011, 01:44:53 AM
I've got some pdfs that might be useful. Perhaps I should add a library section to the forum?
Heck yeah, why not :)
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

masterlk

CaptainVictory

--Rob

madbean

Mark_McQ

I have a copy of the Stompbox Cookbook I could add.
For those not familiar with it, it's an out of print book with lots of interesting projects and info.
If you are even able to find a copy, they're now changing hands for nearly $300!!
Some folks on FSB unsuccesfully tried to track down the author and the publishing company to try and get a reprint.

The Future Process

Ok, so I may be chastised thoroughly for this but here goes:

1. Get a college textbook on basic electronics , learn the basic: voltage dividers, time constants etc., then move on to circuit analysis.
2. Familiarize yourself with schematics of various guitar effects, and their building blocks.
3. Rearrange the building blocks into the shapes of your choosing.

There are no shortcuts to becoming an electrical engineer. If you really want to be a designer, there will be dues paid, devices smoked, and headaches acquired.

I know that everyone wants an easy answer; EE is an lifetime dedication.
??? <- The look of one pursuing the mysteries of EE
RzR

jkokura

No not chastised, but I have a question for you.

If you suggest taking so much time and paying dues, why is it that you wanted other people to make you a purchase list at mouser for your other project?

I'm not trying to be harsh, nor do I fault you for trying to get other people to do the work if you're short on time. I think that your advice above is good advice for someone who is really serious, but I'm kinda living proof of that not being the case. I haven't read ANY books on electrical circuits, just participated in online forums like this one. I read articles online from RG and Beavis' websites to help me understand stuff, and ask questions. But I am learning to design my own guitar pedal circuits and have done so somewhat successfully without going through the steps you suggest.

You're not wrong, I just think you're out of the scope of what the OP is asking for. I still think RG's book is the best resource for what he's asking for. The Craig Anderton books might help too. I think the Wampler books are a little too basic as suggested earlier, but it wouldn't be a mistake to take a look at them.

Electrical Engineering would be a good asset to a pedal builder, but these kinds of circuits are such a small subset of what EE's do that it would be very much overkill to go the route of becoming an EE just to learn to build pedal circuits. I've only been at this a few years, and I know Brian's been on it a few more than me, but I don't think either of us have any EE books on our shelves, nor any classes in the subject. (I could be wrong, I haven't spoken to Brian about this)

RZR, I hope you stick around and join the forums and participate. You seem like a good guy, who's pretty eager about building. I hope you have some good info to share with all of us, since it seems like you have some background in EE at least. I look forward to interacting with you.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

CaptainVictory

Yeah, for the record, I have no designs on becoming an EE, or even accumulating all the knowledge an EE has.  For me, it's just for fun.  Legos on steroids. 

Along these same lines, I certainly don't consider myself a "real" luthier, but as you can see from my video, I know enough to get by.  And really, that's all I'm looking for here.  Just enough to have some idea what would be required to accomplish task X. 

(And truth be told, I don't mind making mistakes.  Some of them will fry a chip, but some will be damn cool.)

Anyway, I appreciate all the input!
--Rob

CaptainVictory

All -- Quick follow-up question on the R.G. Keen book.  I presume we're talking about "PCB Layout for Musical Effects" -- is that right?  If so, does it cover more than taking schematics and turning them into PCBs?  The online descriptions I've found haven't made this clear to me.

Thanks again!
--Rob