News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Need help with a tranny

Started by Mark_McQ, February 08, 2011, 05:11:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark_McQ

I woke up this morning and he won't leave....

Oops, no, not that.
Bought a pair of BC190C's to put in my Crybaby. I was anticipating the TO-92 style plastic ones, but they're the metal cap style, as pictured below. So I don't know which leg is which. I presume the small metal tab on the cap is to designate one of the legs.
Can anyone help me id the legs?

Mark_McQ

Nevermind, after googling for a while, managed to find out it was a TO-18, and then found the pins right away.

jkokura

As far as I know, for future readers, the tab indicates the emitter. Never assume with a transistor, look up the datasheet before installing and learn to read the schematic for double checking the orientation.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

madbean

Tab is the emitter.

Let me add, though, that IMO that BC109 would be much better used in a fuzz rather than a CB!

Mark_McQ

I opted for those after seeing them suggested on a thread on FSB. They're a superb upgrade. I'm very pleased with the results, they really show the stock MPSA18's up.

madbean

Well, scratch my belly and waggle my tail! I will definitely try this out, then. It will be pertinent to the upcoming Weener Wah.

Thanks~!

Mark_McQ

From what I read, only Q1 needs changed, as it has the most effect. Although I just chucked the pair in.
I have my Crybaby modded with both the red and yellow fasels and a switch to toggle between them. After adding the BC190's, I can now hear a bigger difference between the fasels than before. There's more clarity too. The wah sounds more throaty.

madbean

Do you have a preference on either of those inductors? I'm going to try the Whipple on mine.

Shoot, now I'm all jazzed to get the Weener finished!

madbean

Also, I really need to re-grease my Crybaby...what do you use, Mark?

plesur

I use white lithium grease. It comes in a spray can. I find it easiest if you spray it on some card first and then use an ice cream stick to apply it on the rack and pinion, otherwise it spatters everywhere.

Mark_McQ

Quote from: madbean on February 08, 2011, 05:42:11 PM
Do you have a preference on either of those inductors? I'm going to try the Whipple on mine.

Shoot, now I'm all jazzed to get the Weener finished!

I tend to favour the red one. Seems more 'deeper' than the yellow.
If I had to describe them, I'd say the yellow was more 'classic'. Like a better version of the stock one. The red is more raw.
I couldn't comment on what grease the use. Mine is still fairly gooey.  ;D

Mark_McQ

ckim715

Where'd you get the BC109s? I've been looking for a couple to put in my wah as well.
-Charlie

madbean

Smallbear has them. Or, you could do the poor-man's version of metal can 2n2222. That's actually what I have in mine.

Mark_McQ

Quote from: ckim715 on February 09, 2011, 08:34:20 PM
Where'd you get the BC109s? I've been looking for a couple to put in my wah as well.

I'm in the UK, so I use this site:
http://www.doctortweek.co.uk/

Usually have my orders from there within a day. Awesome site.