News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

What to Start with??

Started by StratJunior, February 09, 2011, 08:13:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StratJunior

Hi,

An DIY effects noob here, and I really want to start building some of my own pedals,
how would you guys recommend I start?  ???

A Kit? (GGG, BYOC) ?
or
Is any Noob-rated project fine.

edit: I have soldering experience and have been practicing reading schematics......

maysink

Hello! A kit from the places you mention will get you everything: drilled enclosure, PCB, instructions and necessary parts. All you have to do is assemble it and decorate/label the enclosure to taste.

Madbean just sells the circuit boards leaving you to source all the parts, find + drill an enclosure and assemble it all.

Good soldering skills are a must regardless which avenue you take and reading schematics will help if everything does not go right.

Lastly, BYOC & Madbean both have superb forums. I don't believe GGG has any kind of support forum...
[nothing to see here]
-e

StratJunior

Hey, thanks for the reply,
Now looking back my how I phrased my question was kinda stupid... :P
I get the difference between MadBean and the Kit Sites, I was just wondering wether it would be easier for a beginner to have all the pieces there, how hard is it to find all the parts on Small Bear/Mouser etc...??

And is any "noob" project fine, obviously some have more components to deal with and hunt down.....

Haberdasher

I built my first pedal right here.  If I can do it, you probably can too- but a kit would be a lot easier and you wouldn't have to worry about drilling the enclosure (although you can order them pre-drilled).
There are some pretty simple fuzz circuits as well as overdrive circuits too.  If you're looking for a compressor the cupcake is nice.  What kind of effect would you like to build?
Definitely don't try ordering from mouser on your first pedal.  Much easier from smallbear since almost everything they have is geared toward pedal making.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

jkokura

I usually recommend people start with a kit if they have no experience whatsoever. However, if you feel brave it is possible start with a basic build from madbean. If you do, I recommend you get everything from one source (smallbear) and remember that you should spend a lot of time learning and reading. Going slow and not rushing is vital to having a successful build.

I really recommend looking at your pedal needs right now. Don't just build a pedal if it's easy or a kit. Build something you will want to use tomorrow and next year.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

StratJunior

Quote from: Haberdasher on February 09, 2011, 09:02:05 PM
I built my first pedal right here.  If I can do it, you probably can too- but a kit would be a lot easier and you wouldn't have to worry about drilling the enclosure (although you can order them pre-drilled).

I was looking at the enclosures at Mammoth Electronics, cause I'd don't really think drilling is for me, and the pre-painted ones look real nice... ;D

Quote from: Haberdasher on February 09, 2011, 09:02:05 PMWhat kind of effect would you like to build?

Quote from: jkokura on February 09, 2011, 09:04:42 PM
I really recommend looking at your pedal needs right now. Don't just build a pedal if it's easy or a kit. Build something you will want to use tomorrow and next year.

Thats what has put me off buying a kit, nothing on those sites really excites me, But I do feel I need a new overdrive, I'm finding my FD-2 a little boring, I like my clean tone, but I want a little dirt, it changes my tone in a way I don't enjoy, Out of the projects here, the Serendipity, and the Slambox look cool, but I would love to build a Yellow Shark.

thanks for the fast replies  ;D

maysink

The Slambox & Zombii are pretty simple & satisfying MB builds. You can get all the parts (except pre-drilled enclosures) from small bear--mouser is a great resource but it's VERY easy to order the wrong part from them when you're starting out.

For the record: I'm very happy with my GGG tubescreamer kit build and love my BYOC Might Mouse (proco rat) and analog flanger kit builds.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
[nothing to see here]
-e

StratJunior

How do you know when you're ready to make the jump from "Noob" to "Cowboy"??

jkokura

There's not much difference between them. Usually it's a higher number of parts, or more complicated wiring, or dealing with specialty parts. You could build a cowboy or even an expert project as your first build, but the chances of immediate success go down. What project are you interested in?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

StratJunior

The Honey Bee "Yellow Shark" Clone,
From the clips I've heard of the pedal, it's nice and transparent exactly what I'm looking for, although I wouldn't mind trying out a slambox....

madbean

StratJunior - if you want to try the Slambox, I'll throw in the components for you. That way you only have to get the hardware like the enclosure, jacks, switch, knob, etc. etc. It's no bother....I have more resistors and caps than I'll ever need.

I'd offer with the YS but I'm out of that IC, I think.

StratJunior

Now that's customer service  ;D

That's honestly too much, Id love to buy the components with the pcb?

gtr2

Where else can you get help like this!  Umm...only at madbean pedals!

Id recommend if your brave enough to just start here.  There are a lot of smart people (not me) around here with excellent build techniques and troubleshooting abilities.  My first build was a byoc kit.  It gets your feet wet, but it's much more satisfying with the builds here!  Drilling isn't really that hard if you center punch your holes, drill pilot holes, and then a step bit.  But you should do whatever your comfortable with.

josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

madbean

Quote from: StratJunior on February 10, 2011, 03:13:17 AM
Now that's customer service  ;D

That's honestly too much, Id love to buy the components with the pcb?

Nah, I wouldn't offer if I didn't mind. Don't everybody else start pretending to be a new guy though....I gots to have my trannys! Err..maybe I should phrase that differently.

StratJunior

Thanks so much, i feel bad, and excited at the same time, like the kid who got the $100 present with $5 Christmas present cap.
So on the 15th? The day after my birthday :P