News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Boost on a nickel

Started by icecycle66, August 08, 2013, 12:06:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chromesphere

I agree with cooder.  Its the same process i went through.  I was apprehensive to even try when i saw how small the board / chips were.  I started putting it together, thinking to myself "i'd be surprised if this even works".  It's almost like soldering half blind or something.  But they have all worked so far!  I didnt want to turn people off by saying that a flux pen is pretty much essential, but yeah....its essential.  Dont even try until you get one.

Conquer those fears chaps.  A microscopic boost awaits you :D

Paul
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

chromesphere

Oh hey, on another point, i've discovered that 9mm Tayda pots fit the pot throughholes on the smd boost quite well.  Cant remember if i did this on purpose, but neither the less, it works.  Which makes the build even smaller!

hammerheadmusicman

I have done a few SMD things now, there is a little bit of 'learning the knack', but once you get it, it's super easy, and you don't need half as much solder on the joints as you think!

Dive in guys, it's not as bad as you think, get a flux pen though! Order one now! ;)

George
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

haveyouseenhim

Quote from: chromesphere on August 08, 2013, 11:01:57 PM
Oh hey, on another point, i've discovered that 9mm Tayda pots fit the pot throughholes on the smd boost quite well.  Cant remember if i did this on purpose, but neither the less, it works.  Which makes the build even smaller!

I noticed that as soon as I opened the bag. That's the reason I wanted to try the dual boost in a 1590A.

Great layout.  :)
I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms

pickdropper

Quote from: hammerheadmusicman on August 08, 2013, 11:26:02 PM
I have done a few SMD things now, there is a little bit of 'learning the knack', but once you get it, it's super easy, and you don't need half as much solder on the joints as you think!

Dive in guys, it's not as bad as you think, get a flux pen though! Order one now! ;)

George

+1000.  It's a lot of fun once you get past the unfamiliar.

And definitely get a flux pen.  Worth their weight in gold with SMT and useful for other things as well.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

haveyouseenhim

I just finished my first of two lpb-1 boards I picked up. Fun stuff. I don't have a flux pen so I just filled a syringe with flux. Worked like a charm. :)

chromesphere

Hey Mike, what are you planning on doing with those (2 of) little suckers? 1590a?

Paul

pickdropper

Quote from: haveyouseenhim on August 14, 2013, 02:46:03 AM
I just finished my first of two lpb-1 boards I picked up. Fun stuff. I don't have a flux pen so I just filled a syringe with flux. Worked like a charm. :)

Cool Mike!

Yeah, I sometimes use a syringe with flux as well.  It works just as well as the flux pen.  In fact, it allows for more precise application.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

haveyouseenhim

Quote from: chromesphere on August 14, 2013, 02:58:24 AM
Hey Mike, what are you planning on doing with those (2 of) little suckers? 1590a?

Paul

Maybe........ ;)

chromesphere

haveyouseenhim

There may be a clipping switch on the second boost if I can pull a rabbit out of my ass and find the space for it.