News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Test Box

Started by night-B, February 13, 2011, 12:54:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

night-B

I know it's not really a stompbox build but this tiny thing will sure help me later on debugging and testing.
I was sick of trying to find my mistakes after boxing everything in the enclosure.
I encourage all the noobs like me to build one  ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]

madbean

You have won the forum post of the day! Everyone needs to have something like this. Cheers!

StratJunior

Dang, thats smart..... :o

night-B

Thanks!
I just engraved a powdercoated enclosure with a dremel, soldered croco clips to the jacks, and... that's it!

rowland1

That is a great idea. Can you show us a shot of it in action? I'd like to see how you power the circuit.

chromesphere

Amazing, i just built one of these on the weekend.  I'll post a photo of mine when i get home tonight.  I've basically just wired up a 3pdt pedal, drilled 4 small holes next to the power socket, and the 1/4 inch jacks, and have allegator clips one wires coming out of the holes In Out Plus and Minus.  Going to save me soooo much time wiring boards up for testing.  The other bonus being, i can easily disengage the effect to hear what the level of the effect is.
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

chromesphere

Hey GTR2, nice test box!  I was actually expecting something more complicated on the inside.

Sorry to hijack your thread night-butterfly, just thought its not worth opening a new thread for this....beast...

This is similar to John Lyons test box.  Cant believe i've waited so long to make one.  Makes testing so faster.

BEHOLD.  THE ALIEN PROBE.

I think you will agree its my best work yet.  lol  ;)
Top 2 clips are for + and -.  In and out are next to their respective jacks.

Paul

Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

night-B

Amazing work guys! I thought i would only put 2 jacks grounded to the enclosure and crococlip them to the 3pdt and DC power, so that I can check all the wiring at the same time... But now that it's finished I'd like to build a beavis breakout box like gtr2  ::)

jkokura

In case anyone is wondering, I've posted a quick tutorial on how to build your own test box! Check it out here: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=1140.0

In case you're wondering, yes mine is a little bit different than the pair up above. There are many ways to build a test rig, so as long as you have a good idea of what you want, you can build what works for you. It's really simple, and very, very useful!

Great work D, and great work Paul. You boxes look awesome also!

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Fastocker

Here's one I built based on the Beavis board --- it comes in very handy!  MTL = Mobile Testing Lab.  I made a little mounting panel for up to four pots so I don't have the pots rattling around or coming loose while I tweak a new build.  The input/output jacks (also a DC jack) are on the left side of the box.

Owner of Unique-Vibe, LLC
www.facebook.com/uniquevibe

jkokura

I can't say enough about how cool it is to use a breadboard! There will be a tutorial on putting together a breadboard, as well as some demos on how to use one to create some basic circuits. Breadboards are one of the most essential tools for learning how circuits work and how to 'cook' your own.

Nice work.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Fastocker

Thank you, sir.  Yep, the breadboard has really helped me advance beyond the "kit assembler" stage.  My first BB project was also my first full scratch build, a germanium fuzz face that turned out great.  Got to try some different things with the pedal and was able to swap out various trannies until I found some that really sounded great.

Quote from: jkokura on February 14, 2011, 09:03:10 PM
I can't say enough about how cool it is to use a breadboard! There will be a tutorial on putting together a breadboard, as well as some demos on how to use one to create some basic circuits. Breadboards are one of the most essential tools for learning how circuits work and how to 'cook' your own.

Nice work.

Jacob

Owner of Unique-Vibe, LLC
www.facebook.com/uniquevibe

night-B

Here's a pic asked by rowland1 : an action shot!
Here's my new project : the kokbox. I soldered all the components and the 3pdt. I didn't included the dc jack at the moment (battery directly clipped to the +9v of the board and the test board jack crococlip).
I attached the crococlips on the propper wires.
This is the first time I didn't need to debug (proud of my little victory). With this method I'm able to adjust the trimpot before boxing the beast.
I love the kokbox at the moment but I have the boomstick, uproar, slow loris, T bagger and krankosaurus PCBs in the starting blocks  ;D