News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Telefunken

Started by pickdropper, September 07, 2013, 06:32:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

This is a tube screamer with a lot of the popular mods.  Adding the 3 switches made the build a bit on the tight side.  I have a tendency to try and jam too much in 1590a builds.

After taking the (poor) photos, I realized that I probably should've cleaned off the flux from the 3PDT switch.  I'll probably do that later.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

kothoma

Wow, this is a truly great build!

But better never offer in on eBay or you may attract the attention of the trade mark owners...

catfud

That's a lovely looking, flawless build! I've not yet put one of my tested boards in enclosures and seeing this kind of attention to detail is daunting. That LED looks like it's part of the enclosure itself, it's so snug. What did you use to do the lettering and design on the top? Is that done with stamps or a really shallow etch?

pickdropper

Quote from: kothoma on September 07, 2013, 06:55:37 AM
Wow, this is a truly great build!

But better never offer in on eBay or you may attract the attention of the trade mark owners...

Yeah, I wouldn't sell the pedal with somebody's trademark on it.  I built this one for myself.
Function f(x)

pickdropper

Quote from: catfud on September 07, 2013, 06:56:58 AM
That's a lovely looking, flawless build! I've not yet put one of my tested boards in enclosures and seeing this kind of attention to detail is daunting. That LED looks like it's part of the enclosure itself, it's so snug. What did you use to do the lettering and design on the top? Is that done with stamps or a really shallow etch?

Thanks.  The LED is rather tight.  I drill the LED holes with a 3mm bit and they are a press fit in there.

The etching was done with a 30W CO2 laser.  That type of etch doesn't dig into the medal, it just burns away the finish, so it is only as deep as the top coat.
Function f(x)

croquet hoop

Awesome ! I also have a 1590A Screamer to box with as many knobs & switches as yours, and I'm a bit afraid to do so, so I can fully appreciate what you did here.

Also, it's funny, the components on your boards look a bit scarce ;D (it's a quality — very dense boards can be a pain). Maybe it's just because of the tiny parts... out of curiosity, what schematic is it based on?

paulminer

That is seriously impressive. I especially love the etch.

pickdropper

Quote from: croquet hoop on September 07, 2013, 07:53:05 AM
Awesome ! I also have a 1590A Screamer to box with as many knobs & switches as yours, and I'm a bit afraid to do so, so I can fully appreciate what you did here.

Also, it's funny, the components on your boards look a bit scarce ;D (it's a quality — very dense boards can be a pain). Maybe it's just because of the tiny parts... out of curiosity, what schematic is it based on?

I looked at a few different layouts, but ended up close to Madbean's Green Bean.  I increased the output cap back to 10uF, though.
Function f(x)

croquet hoop

Quote from: pickdropper on September 07, 2013, 08:03:47 AMI looked at a few different layouts, but ended up close to Madbean's Green Bean.  I increased the output cap back to 10uF, though.

Well then congrats, this is a really neat layout.

Regarding the switches, are they just regular SPDTs with a short lever, or did you use switches with a submini body (8 x 5 mm instead of 12 x 7 mm) ?

ch1naski

That is one beautiful build. And fitting all that into an "a" enclosure, well, that is an art unto itself.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
one louder.

pickdropper

Quote from: croquet hoop on September 07, 2013, 08:12:32 AM
Quote from: pickdropper on September 07, 2013, 08:03:47 AMI looked at a few different layouts, but ended up close to Madbean's Green Bean.  I increased the output cap back to 10uF, though.

Well then congrats, this is a really neat layout.

Regarding the switches, are they just regular SPDTs with a short lever, or did you use switches with a submini body (8 x 5 mm instead of 12 x 7 mm) ?

They are just regular SPDTs with normal sized body and lever.  If I had small body with short levers, I would have MUCH preferred to use those.  The size of the switches really made it tight,
Function f(x)

croquet hoop

Oh, right, the perspective of the first picture threw me off, the others show clearly that they are the usual size. They look very nice though, much sturdier than the subminis I got from Mouser (which feel and function very nicely, it's just a matter of looks).

Vanderfuzz

What a build! I've yet to complete a 1590a successfully, but everyone of yours makes me keep trying. Well done, sir.
There's always room for noise.

brejna

It looks really great!  :D
What kind of finish is that?
Do you make stencil and that spray it or?
Brane

pickdropper

Quote from: Vanderfuzz on September 07, 2013, 08:33:32 AM
What a build! I've yet to complete a 1590a successfully, but everyone of yours makes me keep trying. Well done, sir.

1590a builds take a bit more planning, but they use all the skills you've already developed.  With a bit of practice, I am sure you can do it.
Warning: they are addictive.   :-)
Function f(x)