News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

How to build and Use a Basic Testing Rig

Started by jkokura, February 13, 2011, 09:06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bret608

Hey, I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction here--I've been using one of these basic rigs for more than a year now. However, for the first time I've tried hooking a PNP fuzz up to it, and one powered by a battery no less. Can someone tell me what would be the right way to do this? I had gone with the reversed power and ground leads method before. It worked but the circuit didn't sound its best. So now, I have only the in and out leads from the box attached and have the battery taking care of power and ground duties. Is that incorrect? I'm only getting clean signal through. As this won't be the last PNP fuzz I build, I thought it'd be good to nail down a good methodology now.

danwelsh

Hey Jacob thanks for the post.....just one question. Can one use a plastic enclosure for a test rig?

jkokura

In theory, you can, you just need to make sure that everything that needs to be grounded gets all connected up. It won't be shielded, but in reality, the circuit is outside the enclosure anyway, so it doesn't need to be metal.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

das234

I built mine in a wooden cigar box and it works fine.  Just had to add a jumper wire to complete the ground connection.

danwelsh

Quote from: das234 on December 13, 2013, 11:20:32 AM
I built mine in a wooden cigar box and it works fine.  Just had to add a jumper wire to complete the ground connection.
From sleeve to sleeve right?

das234

Cortexturizer

https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

Cortexturizer

How have I ever lived without one is beyond me.
It should be a pre-requisit for joining the forum I think hehe.
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

jimilee

I see your problem, your test rig isn't plugged in to the ac!
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

AntKnee

I had some time waiting on parts to arrive and paint to dry, so, threw together a test rig of my own. I used a DOD enclosure from a pedal that is basically trash. Bondoed up the holes and made a few new ones and bam!
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

skadogg

Quote from: Cortexturizer on December 28, 2013, 02:47:02 PM

That's a pretty sweet testing rig. I really need to build one for myself.

For some reason I had to figure out what that image was. It's Mr. Spray. Nice one!

danwelsh

For signal for probing.....could a guy wire a headphone plug to a 1/4" guitar plug and use that on the input while connecting headphone one to smartphone, iPod, cd player or whatever plays music that has a headphone jack....hit play and probe away?

jkokura

In theory, yes. However, you will probably do better with some sort of amplifier on your output to properly amp the signal to audible levels.

Could it work in a jam? Yes. Is it best practice? Most definitely not.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

danwelsh

Quote from: jkokura on January 23, 2014, 05:06:38 PM
In theory, yes. However, you will probably do better with some sort of amplifier on your output to properly amp the signal to audible levels.

Could it work in a jam? Yes. Is it best practice? Most definitely not.

Jacob

I should have been a little more clear on my post.....I meant use the homemade headphone patch cord for the input instead of the guitar and my amp as the output(like normal)

jkokura

Ah yes, I see what you mean now. I misunderstood earlier.

So if you're saying...

ipod > headphone out > effect in

then

audio probe > Amplifier

Then yes, that should work. Is it best practice? Not really. Should be a guitar level signal hitting the effect to get the best result.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*