News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Behold . . . the true SUN KING!

Started by Fastocker, February 14, 2011, 09:08:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fastocker

Well, not the pedal . . . but I think this guy is definitely THE Sun King, LOL.  Guy looks damn serious about his tone . . .

Actually this isn't a full pedal build of mine --- I just finished the enclosure and did the graphic for a buddy building his own Sun King.  Ruby red metalflake powdercoat came out nice; he ended up using different knobs as neither of us liked the ones pictured.

My buddy's wife said the stomp switch should have been mounted a 'little lower' . . . would have made the pedal more interesting to the ladies, hehehe.

Owner of Unique-Vibe, LLC
www.facebook.com/uniquevibe

FuzzMonkey

night-B

Wonderful graphics!
A great pedalenclosure pedal enclosure  ::)

madbean

Yeah, that's one of the coolest pedal graphics I've seen in a while!

jkokura

Man I love those pedal enclosures enclosures. They're costly, but they look so good!

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

gtr2

Did you paint that yourself?  It looks really nice with the large metal flake!
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Fastocker

Quote from: gtr2 on February 18, 2011, 05:36:06 AM
Did you paint that yourself?  It looks really nice with the large metal flake!

Thanks, gtr2.  Actually that's powdercoating --- I do my own powdercoating at home with a kit from Eastwood Automotive.  That's a candy red color over a polished box with metalflake clear on top.

bigmufffuzzwizz

This pedal looks really good! That powdercoat kit you mentioned looks really easy to use and afforable!! Does the list of stuff to get ever end?

How did you do such awesome decals. I failed miserably with the paper fusing to my laser printer roller!!  :-[ Didn't over to well with my father!  ::)
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

jkokura

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on February 19, 2011, 10:51:40 AM
Does the list of stuff to get ever end?

No. It's like the song that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friends. Some people started singing it, not knowing what it was. Now they'll continue singing it forever just because it is the song that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friends. Some people started singing it, not knowing what it was. Now they'll continue singing it forever just because it is the song that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friends. Some people started singing it, not knowing what it was. Now they'll continue singing it forever just because it is the song that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friends. Some people started singing it, not knowing what it was. Now they'll continue singing it forever just because it is the song that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friends. Some people started singing it, not knowing what it was. Now they'll continue singing it forever just because it is the song that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friends.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

bigmufffuzzwizz

Oh wonderful childhood memories of lamp chop!!
But the decal my friend. A possible elaboration of your method?  ;D
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

Fastocker

LOL . . . it really never DOES end.  Actually I bought the powdercoating kit years ago for my other (and much more expensive) car hobby.  Found a cheap electric oven at a scratch and dent sale at Circuit City and installed it in my garage.  Heck, you could probably use a small toaster oven if you're just going to do pedals.  For pedal work, Columbia Coatings (www.columbiacoatings.com) sells powder in 2 oz. bottles and two ounces of powder will finish 4-5 pedals, plus they have some cool colors and effects.

That decal is printed on white vinyl adhesive paper that I got on eBay (store name is MAMMY MAGNETS AND MORE).  I used an inkjet printer and coated the image with clear once the ink dried.  Then cut to shape, peel the back off and apply to the box.

That store has several different types of paper --- the white vinyl is a bit tricky to use as you have to print at a faster speed or it can saturate with ink.  The paper comes with some instructions on how to use it.  They also have a nice adhesive photo decal film that really prints hi-res photos well.

Here's a Madbean Ego Driver that I renamed the ICU (Intesive Crunch Unit?) --- smoke translucent powder and the graphic is printed on the photo decal film:

madbean

Umm....lol. Maybe it's just my dumb sense of humor, but your ICU has a tiny blue boner. I cannot un-see it.

Powder coating would be fun to experiment with. I wonder about those $100 kits, though...if they are really capable of doing the job.

Fastocker

Quote from: madbean on February 19, 2011, 08:34:56 PM
. . . but your ICU has a tiny blue boner. I cannot un-see it.

Powder coating would be fun to experiment with. I wonder about those $100 kits, though...if they are really capable of doing the job.

Easy, big fella . . . . come to think of it I believe I'll rotate the toggle switch 90 degrees so that the LP setting is 'down' and the HP setting is 'up' . . . would only make sense . . .

Actually I've done car intake manifolds, exhaust manifolds, air cleaners and even wheels with my cheap little Eastwood PC kit, so stompbox enclosures are a piece of cake.  Of course with the Eastwood kit you need a small air compressor and some sort of oven to bake the enclosures in --- DO NOT use the oven in your kitchen.  So it's not real cost effective if you're only going to do a few pedals.

Lately I've been experimenting with clear powdercoat over waterslide decals . . . and so far so good.  Here are a couple of fuzz face pedals I built (first is germanium, second is silicon) with waterslide decals on top, then a final coat of clear powder to seal everything in.  I thought the decal would burn in the oven but it held up fine.  With the clear powder over them those decals are on there for good.