Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

(The ?) Engineer's Thumb !

Started by Ettore_M, September 30, 2013, 01:59:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ettore_M

Hey guys! After a long time, you'll see an actual build report from me!  ;D

Here's my Engineer's Thumb. I called it THE, because it sounded better!  :o ;D
This one is for a very good friend of mine, Makis, who actually loves compressors. I've built him a 1590A Flatline a long time ago and he loved it! But reading the comments on the Engineer's Thumb, I knew I had to build him this one too. And to go BIG, I built him the 5-knob version!  8) So here's the result!  :)

It sounds really great, it's awfully quiet and I can say it's very transparent! However, next time, I'll build with only the standard Level/Ratio combination, and the Bright switch, which I think it's a great addition!

I used the great layout by the ever-productive Harald Sabro (Sabrotone)! Quite a lot offboard (and messy, too) wiring, but what could I do!  :) You'll notice the two LEDs that aren't in Harald's layout. I added them, because Merlin (Valvewizard. We all know him! ;) ) highly recommended them. And I think it's better this way, as the OTAs won't clip in any way.

As for the finish, there isn't one typically. I polished the enclosure (125B, from Tayda), as much as I could. It's a very time-consuming job. Sanding, polishing, sanding a little more, until you get a good result. But in the end, I think it's worth it.

Then the even more time-consuming part! Engraving the enclosure..
I hand-engraved the letters and the flower with my trusty Dremel (Great tool! I love it with my whole heart!  ;D ). This part took me only 6 hours! Oh yes! But again, the finish is one of a kind, right?  ;)

Clearcoating

Detail

Also, I added a few mods in the layout. 10nF instead of 4.7nF for the treble cap, and 1k series resistor for the Release pot.

I hope you like it as much as I do!
Cheers!

Hector
" I would first try what I call The American Approach, which is simply this: "If X is good, then 2X simply HAS TO BE twice as good."  ;D "
- Culturejam

lincolnic

Looks great! Totally worth the effort.

stevie1556

Thay enclosure is absolutely beautiful!

Great build!

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk!

fendman

I think this is a beautiful build inside and out. It would seem there is a growing interest in vero builds and  enclosures which are crafted by hand...I am all for this :)

Its a pleasure to see, you should feel very pleased Hector.
Thanks
Mike

alanp

Done a couple enclosures with dremel engraving... can't imagine doing that much work, though!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

billstein

You are a true artist with that Dremel. Beautiful build.

Ettore_M

Thank you guys for the kind words! Now that you people like it, all the efforts and pains (my arm still hurts from the engraving marathon!  :-\ ) are paid back! Now, I hope my friend will like it as much as you and I do..  :)

Hector
" I would first try what I call The American Approach, which is simply this: "If X is good, then 2X simply HAS TO BE twice as good."  ;D "
- Culturejam

pickdropper

Quote from: billstein on September 30, 2013, 03:52:33 PM

+1000.

I've used a Drexel to engrave before.  It never looks anything like that.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

DutchMF

More likely a dentist..... But yeah, it looks absolutely awesome! Can't imagine the patience that enclosure took....

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

Ettore_M

Quote from: pickdropper on September 30, 2013, 06:20:06 PM

+1000.

Thanks! But then again, my enclosures will never look as stunning as yours!  ;)

Quote from: DutchMF on September 30, 2013, 08:40:14 PM

More likely a dentist..... But yeah, it looks absolutely awesome! Can't imagine the patience that enclosure took....

Paul
Hahahaha! Paul, you made me cry! Thanks, I'll take that as a compliment!
Yeah. It took quite a lot of patience. And even more time. And will to keep going. 6 hours were pretty painful on my right hand!  :( 
My mum kept asking me "What are you doing, my child?", and my dad thought I was crazy to work on an enclosure for so much time. He even got mad at me!  ;D Yeah. Don't forget that I'm only 21 years old, and I'm living with my parents.  ;)

And think that there's preparation for the enclosure, before I go engraving. I have to transfer (in some way) the words with the exact font, both for the "Effects Den" sign and for the name. I'll make some kind of tutorial just for you all to see what took this to be how it is now! ;)

Thank you all for your kind words! I just love this community..  :)

Hector
- Culturejam

billstein

Quote from: Ettore_M on September 30, 2013, 10:08:42 PM
Quote from: pickdropper on September 30, 2013, 06:20:06 PM

+1000.

Thanks! But then again, my enclosures will never look as stunning as yours!  ;)

Quote from: DutchMF on September 30, 2013, 08:40:14 PM

Paul
Hahahaha! Paul, you made me cry! Thanks, I'll take that as a compliment!
Yeah. It took quite a lot of patience. And even more time. And will to keep going. 6 hours were pretty painful on my right hand!  :( 
My mum kept asking me "What are you doing, my child?", and my dad thought I was crazy to work on an enclosure for so much time. He even got mad at me!  ;D Yeah. Don't forget that I'm only 21 years old, and I'm living with my parents.  ;)

And think that there's preparation for the enclosure, before I go engraving. I have to transfer (in some way) the words with the exact font, both for the "Effects Den" sign and for the name. I'll make some kind of tutorial just for you all to see what took this to be how it is now! ;)

Thank you all for your kind words! I just love this community..  :)

Hector

I was wondering how you transferred the font so you could be so precise.  Would really like to see a tutorial on this.

shawnee

Awesome job. Especially for such a young man. Bravo Hector.

slimtriggers

Truly a labor of love.  Amazing work!

jimilee

That's a lot of knobs man! Everything looks fantastic. I got the 2 knob version myself,loving it.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Ettore_M

Quote from: jimilee on October 01, 2013, 03:09:39 AM
That's a lot of knobs man! Everything looks fantastic. I got the 2 knob version myself,loving it.
Yes indeed! Too much for a compressor. I still like my pedals simple. But that was for a friend who wanted something like a studio compressor on his pedalboard.  ;) But then again, they do add more versatility to this excellent circuit!

Quote from: billstein on September 30, 2013, 10:28:47 PM
I was wondering how you transferred the font so you could be so precise.  Would really like to see a tutorial on this.

I can't exactly explain you with words. I'll sure make a pictorial though!  ;)

Quote from: slimtriggers on September 30, 2013, 11:48:09 PM
Truly a labor of love.  Amazing work!
Quote from: shawnee on September 30, 2013, 10:42:13 PM
Awesome job. Especially for such a young man. Bravo Hector.
Thanks guys! I made it with all my love for the DIY pedal building.
And yeah. I'm still young, and got a lot to learn, but I try as much as I can, as you see!   :)

Hector
- Culturejam