News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Help my hurting brain (2-in-1 wiring question)

Started by irmcdermott, February 18, 2011, 03:23:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

irmcdermott

So, I just had a request that I wasn't anticipating, and my brain already hurts from a day of working/debugging, and on top of it, I think I'm over-thinking it.

Someone has asked me to help design a layout for a compressor pedal and an a/b switcher in 1 box. They want this because they want the compressor for both their acoustic and electric guitars, but want the A/B to then go to their designated Acoustic and Electric pedal setups.

So, in my head that reads to me like this. "I want a compressor with 2 switchable outputs that I can bypass the circuit if needed." That can be done, right? Wouldn't just I have to wire the output lug of the Compressor's 3PDT to the center row of the A/B portion's 3PDT, and wire the A/B as usual? That should work, right?

Also, a BB enclosure should be plenty big for this, right?

jkokura

Yes, you can do it just like that I think Ian.

I would go from the output of the Compressor's switch to the input of the AB switch. If you can get two output jacks in whatever enclosure you're using, you should be fine. I'm sure you could do it in a 125B if you had to, but a 1590BB would easily, easily be possible.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

irmcdermott

Quote from: jkokura on February 18, 2011, 03:28:56 AM
Yes, you can do it just like that I think Ian.

I would go from the output of the Compressor's switch to the input of the AB switch. If you can get two output jacks in whatever enclosure you're using, you should be fine. I'm sure you could do it in a 125B if you had to, but a 1590BB would easily, easily be possible.

Jacob

Awesome. I didn't think I was crazy. Thanks for the confirmation!

irmcdermott

Well, i think it will work in a 125B... I'm definitely recommending he let PPP drill this one for him... 11 holes, sheesh.

jkokura

Looks like it'll work to me. I could drill it, but I have access to a drill press. Remember, measure lots and drill once.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

irmcdermott

Oh, I have a drill press too and could do it. But he doesn't (that I know of) and when I leave for work on the 27th, I'm pretty much traveling until the end of March for work. So he wants to give it a go. I'm just helping him along (etching a board, sourcing parts, making a wiring document specific to this project).

B_of_H

you guys must be a lot more accurate with your feet than me.  I put two switches in a 1590BB (short side ala 3.7" width) and they were right on the edge and I would hit both all the time live, I ended up scrapping the enclosure.  a 125 with two switches would be impossible for me.  I guess i'm a klutz.   :-[

jkokura

I find it's close together, but it's doable. The harder part is when I have a pair like that beside each other, because then the switches are very very close together. It all comes down to being accurate and wearing good fitting narrow shoes! I don't have very big feet either, and I'm not playing thrash metal or even terribly active music. I sing usually so that's the only time I really struggle with stepping on things.

Practice helps!

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*