News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Drive Pedals for Bass

Started by playpunk, October 09, 2013, 01:53:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

playpunk

Hello Fellas,

I have been thinking about which pedals to build for a bass player. I know that there are some DIY PCB's which are designed for bass, and those are a given.

Have any of you guys ever wired up an overdrive with a clean/dirty dual gang pot as two pots to use for bassists?

This seems to me to be the simplest solution to the problem of a circuit losing low end. I'm thinking most specifically about a Klone or JMK's Clean Drive. I guess the OD-820 from Aion would work the same way.

"my legend grows" - playpunk

GermanCdn

Clean drive works well for bass, either with a dual gang or two separate controls (there's a demo in Jacob's sub forum for two separate controls for guitar).

Jacob's also got the bass drive coming up.

I'm just finishing up Josh's Sucker Punch for bass with jubal Schoon Time for blend, will let you know how it works.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

jimilee

I have a grind customs klon with cap mods for bass that I use currently sounds good. Also I have a ginger board from a runoff groove schem that I am going to build, I hear good things about it and then jmk has that I am going to build also. I use a green Russian as a standard fuzz though. It also had bass mods on the out cap.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

LaceSensor

If you can score a cheap find on one, the Way Huge reissue mk2 Green Rhino sounds huge on bass thanks to its 100hz control. I beleive there is a MXR pedal which also features this 100hz control.

I am yet to see this as a feature of DIY pedals.
In the meanwhile, I think you can make pretty much any drive fuzz or OD pedal work as a bass pedal by the inclusion of a clean blend. There are a number of DIY designs for such a control.

CRBMoA

I Beta tested a DIY Ginger board last year. Sent it on to someone else, but I will say it truly got me to Jack Bruce territory. Great circuit!

jkokura

Quote from: GermanCdn on October 09, 2013, 02:25:04 PM
Clean drive works well for bass, either with a dual gang or two separate controls (there's a demo in Jacob's sub forum for two separate controls for guitar).

Jacob's also got the bass drive coming up.

This.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

jimilee

Quote from: CRBMoA on October 09, 2013, 04:56:57 PM
I Beta tested a DIY Ginger board last year. Sent it on to someone else, but I will say it truly got me to Jack Bruce territory. Great circuit!
if you search here for a ginger there is a layout.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

selfdestroyer

This might help you make some opinions.. I stumbled across this page last week.

http://johnkvintageguitars.homestead.com/Overdrive-Pedals.html

playpunk

that page is pretty comprehensive. I wish he had links or build reports on his mods, though.
"my legend grows" - playpunk

DutchMF

Quote from: GermanCdn on October 09, 2013, 02:25:04 PM
I'm just finishing up Josh's Sucker Punch for bass with jubal Schoon Time for blend, will let you know how it works.

I was planning the exact same combo, but combined with a Faultline @ 18V in a 1590DD, as a nice surprise for my bass player......
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

jimilee

I should have said that I you search for ginger on byoc, there is a layout, I forgot where I was. Rog has a schematic and some sound samples.

selfdestroyer

Quote from: playpunk on October 10, 2013, 05:22:04 PM
that page is pretty comprehensive. I wish he had links or build reports on his mods, though.

I know what you mean. I know a lot of his builds are from Mark at tagboardeffects. I have seen comments by him there.