News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

DBD Delay question to all of you builders

Started by Govmnt_Lacky, October 29, 2013, 09:34:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Govmnt_Lacky

I am in BAD need for a Delay. I was going to build the DBD but, it has been discontinued and it appears that a newer version is on the horizon. The Dirtbag 2013..... Hopefully soon! (Brian??)

Anyways, I happen to have some v3205 chips in wait for this project and I would like to get some testimonials from the builders of the Dirtbag as to whether or not it was a good outcome with the v3205 chips. I have read in the build docs that they are not exactly the best option but... in lieu of putting out major cash for some genuine 3005s, I would like to know if any of you think it was worth the effort or if there have been any noticable post-successful build problems to note.

Opinions?

Scruffie

Divided opinion, some are happy with them, some adamantly hate them. But if you want an analog delay i'd say the Aqua Deluxe is better suited to 3205s, after experimenting the Dirtbag needed some heavy modification to get it to work well with 3205s but the Aquaboy has some precautions for them built in that should help (and the BOSS DM-2 was designed for 9V operation in the first place).

Also, i'm not entirely sure all v3205s are created equal, you might wanna buy a few and swap.
Works at Lectric-FX

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Scruffie on October 29, 2013, 10:14:31 AM
Also, i'm not entirely sure all v3205s are created equal, you might wanna buy a few and swap.

Thanks Scruffie!!

Heres the thing...

I only have a few of these v3205s (think I got them in trade or buy from Jon  ;D) and if I cannot use them for a delay, then I might just go ahead with a 2399-based circuit. I have a metric crap-ton of those!!  :P

I appreciate the input though. Might have to pick up the Aquaboy. Im not interested in modulating the delay though..... IS the Aquaboy available without delay?

Need to look....  :o

Scruffie

It's not 'available' without it but you can just leave out the modulation section if you want.

Bean was working on a 1590B analog delay (no modulation) at one point but I don't know what came of that project.

There is an etchable Aquaboy without delay too in the extra projects section.
Works at Lectric-FX

alanp

I originally built a 9V v3205d build. Beyond 12 o'clock on the Level knob, it is unusable.

I later built a 15V MN3008 Dirtbag. Holy hell... this is not corksniffery, there is a clear difference. With the v3205d, only half of Level is usable (beyond that it's noisy as hell full of cicadas.) With the MN3008's, it is just starting to distort (NICELY) at the end of the level travel.

If you're just after a brilliant delay, I'd highly recommend the Multiplex -- lots of builds get reported for it here, and for very good reason.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: alanp on October 29, 2013, 09:23:49 PM
If you're just after a brilliant delay, I'd highly recommend the Multiplex -- lots of builds get reported for it here, and for very good reason.

Thanks Alan!

Just ordered me up a Multiplex. I guess the v3205s will have to wait  ::)

Cant wait for the Multiplex now.... shouldn't take long.  8)

pickdropper

I guess I am the only one who ended up with a decent sounding v3205 build.  I've actually built two of them and both sound good.  I've also got one with MN3005s.  It's better, but not usable vs. unusable at all.

I will say that the v3205 builds had the most narrow bias point of anything I've built.  In fact, they sounded broken until I got them in the right spot.  The MN3005 (running at 15v) had a fairly wide sweet spot where the pedal actually worked.  I wonder how many of the v3205 builds that were rejected were not correctly biased.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Scruffie

Quote from: pickdropper on October 30, 2013, 07:23:28 AM
I guess I am the only one who ended up with a decent sounding v3205 build.  I've actually built two of them and both sound good.  I've also got one with MN3005s.  It's better, but not usable vs. unusable at all.

I will say that the v3205 builds had the most narrow bias point of anything I've built.  In fact, they sounded broken until I got them in the right spot.  The MN3005 (running at 15v) had a fairly wide sweet spot where the pedal actually worked.  I wonder how many of the v3205 builds that were rejected were not correctly biased.
You make a good point, I have a v3207 chorus on my breadboard atm and without a scope it's a very tricky trim... I guess with less voltage you would have less of an acceptable bias range and the Dirtbag has an even trickier bias set up due to it being combined with the gain trim (solved quite easily by using a seperate v.ref, something I did in modding.)

The DMM is designed for 15V though which is more than the chips want to see, I did work through changing stuff to get it better for the v3205s but by the end of it, may as well have just done a new board.
Works at Lectric-FX