News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Aristocrat / King of Tone

Started by sliberty, May 18, 2010, 01:35:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sliberty

I've built the Aristocrat, and what I have noticed is that the level coming out of this pedal is very low. Both sides (channels) are behaving the same way. If I crank the volume all the way up, and put the drive on about 12 oclock, the level is a little above the bypassed level, but not by that much.

Note: I used JRC4558D chips instead of the JRC4580's called for.

Is this normal? Is the different chip an issue?

Thanks,
Steve

sliberty

madbean

It's definitely true that this thing does now have a ton of output. But, you should have unity at a little over noon, not full up. Did you do any subs for diodes? How does you output level change when the different diodes are toggled on and off?

Changing the op-amp as you described should not impact the output much, if at all.

sliberty

I used the proper diodes, no substitutions. I am not so sure the switching is working correctly. On one channel, one of the positions doesn't work at a ll ( no output), and on the other channel, there is no apparent difference between switch positions. I will recheck the board in these areas before I go further as your question implies that the switching could be impacting level. In will post agin when I know more.

Thanks,
Steve

madbean

You should have four switching options with each dip switch: ma856, 1s1588, ma856+1s1588 and no diodes. No diodes will be the loudest, and the the two together the softest. There shouldn't be any option giving you no output, so that is what we need to look into.