News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Bubba FET (complete)

Started by jubal81, October 31, 2013, 10:05:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jubal81

Finally finished after a marathon over the weekend. Five FET drives in one box with a SHO to kick 'em in the arse. Lots of forum members' work in this one:
Fender: Blackbird - Chi-Boy
Dumble: Umble - TH_Custom
Roadrage - Madbean
VOX: Voxy Brown - moi
Plexi - Chi_Boy
Hiwatt - Prince Albert by Raul Duke
SHO - Poodle Pedals PCB

The switching system consists of three PCBs of my own design. The overall bypass (left most switch) and the SHO bypass (Right most switch) use the 57B relay microchip from Pedal Sync to control latching relays with optofet bypass to ground the signal during switching.
The middle switch (and PCB) uses a 4017 decade counter to switch between the relays for the individual circuits. There's a 40106 for switch debounce and power-on reset (thanks to Mictester) and a 2003ULC to sink the current from the relays and corresponding LEDs.

The faceplates are acid etched (and took forever - two tries - since I'm not so hot at etching). The Tweed and amp chassis came from Antique Electronic Supply and were generously covered with lacquer.

A whole lot of money and a whole lot of time, but it was definitely worth it. Sounds great and works beautifully. Thanks to everyone for their boards and advice.

The video below is only the second time I'd fired it up. Got to play with it for about 30 minutes before work yesterday. Hence me fumbling to try to do all the switching while playing two chords.

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

croquet hoop

Wow... I'm speechless. Absolutely gorgeous. Unfortunately the video does not work ("this video is private").

Love the name too  ;D

pickdropper

Holy Awesome.  That is one of the nicest builds I've ever seen.

There's an awful lot going on and it looks fantastic.  Well done all around.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jubal81

Thanks! Changed the privacy settings. Let me know if it plays.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

Tremster

croquet hoop

Yes, it works... and it sounds really great! The switching system looks really nice too, I thought having six drives plus a boost would be a nightmare, but from what I can see it looks easy enough to select the fx you want.

soldersqueeze

Now THAT'S how you build a multi pedal! I'm pretty speechless, it's flawless in both design and execution.
Hard to say much else, except that whatever the amount of time and money it took was worth it. Congratulations!!

hylandren

Wait...
...Can Hear that crashing sound? That's me throwing my soldering iron in the TRASH! lol

Un-freaking-believable. After that much time and effort, I am glad it works.
I too could not get the link to work...

slimtriggers

Man, that is unbelievably cool!   8) 8)

juansolo

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

bcalla

jimilee

wow,that's fantastic. I'm going to vote for you and not myself. This brings a tear to your eye!
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

spaceboss

I've been waiting to see this bad-boy in finished form. One of the best!  8)

sirbergersworth

Holy crap that's cool.

Sent using Tapatalk
"Comes a time when the blind man takes your hand, says, "Don't you see?"
-Robert Hunter

jkokura

I knew this was coming down the pipe, and it both met and exceeded my expectations. Certainly a contender for build of the year.

I'm most impressed with how clean it ended up internally when there is so much going on.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals