News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

11.01 - Function F(x) Fundraiser Announcement

Started by madbean, November 01, 2013, 06:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

culturejam

Quote from: madbean on November 16, 2013, 10:05:28 AM
I think his point was that there is no value in a name in terms of someone exploiting that information.

That's exactly my point. There's no value to some Russian d-bag who steals identities.

But obviously some folks were rather stay anonymous. That's cool with me. Our intent was a good one, but clearly we didn't think of every viewpoint.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

gingataff

Looking forward to getting these although I'm wondering if I should just keep them unpopulated in the hope they reach klonlike value in years to come.

jimilee

Quote from: gingataff on November 16, 2013, 07:20:47 PM
Looking forward to getting these although I'm wondering if I should just keep them unpopulated in the hope they reach klonlike value in years to come.
Right, should we create a wait list and claim to sell them but you'll have to wait two years, and post fake pictures of them in the wild. The company will make millions, THEN we get our stock options. It's the perfect plan. I think I'll buy a Lamborghini......
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Stomptown

Quote from: gingataff on November 16, 2013, 07:20:47 PM

We can always use that as an excuse for the surface mount fuzz!  ;)  Seriously though, I'm pretty excited to give SMT a shot!

alanp

If someone orders a few multiples of the SMD stuff, I'd be willing to order two sets of what is required for the surface mount fuzz. (Mouser's website scares me for the passive stuff.)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jimilee

Didn't Dave create a mouser bom? Oh wait I think it's in the build docs, seems like he was saying something like that earlier in this post maybe? I'm pretty stoked about it myself. I'm afraid it will be awesome and all my through hole stuff I have amassed will be worthless.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

bcalla

Quote from: jimilee on November 16, 2013, 08:12:17 PM
Didn't Dave create a mouser bom? Oh wait I think it's in the build docs, seems like he was saying something like that earlier in this post maybe? I'm pretty stoked about it myself. I'm afraid it will be awesome and all my through hole stuff I have amassed will be worthless.
The Mouser part numbers were in the doc, but I don't think there is a BOM.  I went into Mouser last night and created a project for the SMD parts only - resistors, caps & trannies.  It came to $8.83.  I've never done this before, but I could probably figure out how to create and share a BOM.  Like someone else already mentioned, Mouser's site intimidates the hell out of me.

I plan to place my order after I receive the board - I think I'll double the quantities to have some spares.  I did notice that some of the resistors were out of stock.

pickdropper

Yeah, I put the Mouser part numbers in the build doc, but did not create an actual BOM at Mouser.  One of the reason is that parts do go out of stock.  Fortunately, most of the passives have many viable replacements.

I went through the parts on the BOM just now and noticed only two that are out of stock without alternates that come up as part of the part search.  The values I saw were the 33k and 1k resistors.  Here are some alternate parts:

660-RK73H1JTTD3302F
660-RK73H1JTTD1001F

If anything else goes out of stock, you can find alternate resistors using the following search criteria at Mouser:

Resistance Value -
Case Code - in - 0603

If you want, you can throw in Power Rating - 1/10W, but you probably don't need to.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

muddyfox

Oh bollocks... I just read the builddoc and there are 0603 resistors there... And I thought I was safe ordering a 0805 resistor kit.  ::)
I guess it's back to fleabay for some 0603s and 1206s.

pickdropper

Yeah, all of the resistors are 0603.  Most of the caps are 0805, with the exception of the 47uF, which are 1206 because I wanted them to be 16V.
Function f(x)

Vallhagen

Quote from: pickdropper on November 17, 2013, 07:00:38 AM

Resistance Value -
Case Code - in - 0603

Sorry if im a am goin a bit OT but im curious, and as you have experience with SM-stuff; 0603, is that the smallest you can go and still be "fairly comfortable" in soldering? Is 0402 possible to handle?

Cheers
Yes i still have Blüe Monster pcb-s for sale!

...and checkout: https://moodysounds.se/

muddyfox

Quote from: pickdropper on November 17, 2013, 07:25:37 AM
Yeah, all of the resistors are 0603.  Most of the caps are 0805, with the exception of the 47uF, which are 1206 because I wanted them to be 16V.

A set of 1206 caps and a set of 0603 resistors ordered off evilbay. Should be enough for a few boards...  ;D

pickdropper

Quote from: Vallhagen on November 17, 2013, 07:39:10 AM
Quote from: pickdropper on November 17, 2013, 07:00:38 AM

Resistance Value -
Case Code - in - 0603

Sorry if im a am goin a bit OT but im curious, and as you have experience with SM-stuff; 0603, is that the smallest you can go and still be "fairly comfortable" in soldering? Is 0402 possible to handle?

Cheers

My preference is 0603 as I find them about as easy to hand-solder as 0805.  I do hand-solder smaller components fairly regularly.  Usually it's 0402, which aren't too bad, but I wouldn't recommend those as a starting point for the first time SMT build.  I've done 0201 resistors as well, but those are really quite tiny and not as much fun.  I haven't tried 1005, which are so small they are difficult to see.  We have some at work, so maybe I'll try them one of these days just for the challenge.
Function f(x)

pickdropper

Quote from: muddyfox on November 17, 2013, 07:40:37 AM
Quote from: pickdropper on November 17, 2013, 07:25:37 AM

A set of 1206 caps and a set of 0603 resistors ordered off evilbay. Should be enough for a few boards...  ;D

I would check to make sure the 1206 cap kit actually includes the 47uF cap.  That's a fairly large (and less common) value, so I kind of doubt it's in the kit.

The 0603 resistor kit should be perfect.
Function f(x)

DutchMF

Quote from: pickdropper on November 17, 2013, 07:52:07 AM
I've done 0201 resistors as well

You must be a machine, I just looked up the dimensions on those, they're .6 x .3 mm!!!! I could inhale those and not notice.....

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"