News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

11.01 - Function F(x) Fundraiser Announcement

Started by madbean, November 01, 2013, 06:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

I think we gave the technical info.

Did we not ever post a gutshot of it here?

micromegas

I don't think so, maybe from the prototype. There are a couple on facebook though.
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

culturejam

Quote from: micromegas on May 08, 2015, 06:56:36 AM
btw, did you told Joe Gore what's inside or did he actually opened the pedal to take a look?

We gave them tech details, but not nearly as many as he wrote about. So I assume he popped the hood and had a look. Good for him! That's exactly what I do and what any discerning consumer should do.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

madbean

Quote from: micromegas on May 08, 2015, 07:06:24 AM
I don't think so, maybe from the prototype. There are a couple on facebook though.

This is pretty current. Forrest and I do the layouts for the prototypes, but for production layouts we hand it over to our engineer, Jerry. He also designed the switching system. It even has headers on it so we can program the chips right on the board. Jerry is pretty awesome. Dave and Jerry also do final assembly and testing. We've got them set up so they are very easy to plug/unplug with the headers and stuff.

One other cool thing is we have AC detection in there so it won't fry the board if you plug in AC instead of DC.

jimilee

No goop!!! Those boys over at JHS are gonna be all over this!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

micromegas

those guts are beautiful.
Are those two TO-92 things in the lower left corner related to the AC detection circuit?
Is that a one-layer pcb btw?

too many questions... I have to save some money and get one :)

pickdropper

Quote from: micromegas on May 09, 2015, 10:22:39 AM
Are those two TO-92 things in the lower left corner related to the AC detection circuit?

Those are actually for the switching circuit.  The AC protection is done with a PTC.

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

madbean

Yeah, my calling "detection" was a bit of a quaff. It's the PTC (something I've never used outside of FFX).

micromegas

Quote from: pickdropper on May 09, 2015, 10:31:17 AM

Quote from: micromegas on May 09, 2015, 10:22:39 AM

Those are actually for the switching circuit.  The AC protection is done with a PTC.

That makes sense.... a lot of sense. Now I know why R5 looked like a ceramic cap :)
Plus those transistors were too close to the relay and to far from the dc source..

culturejam

Here's some general info how PTCs:
http://www.littelfuse.com/products/resettable-ptcs.aspx

It's a two-layer PCB, Adán. But yeah, all the traces are on the bottom (at least as far as I can tell). I didn't do the layout, so I might be wrong.

micromegas

Thanks for all the info guys! And sorry for bothering you

I have seen PTCs used in some comercial pedals at FSB dissections. Even JHS guys added one to their Morning Glory I think...
It's a good practice, a lot of people out there don't really care about what they stick into their dc plugs.... 9v is 9v and 12v  is 12v, right? :P

culturejam

You're not bothering anyone. I'm just glad that there are questions I can answer.  ;D

micromegas

Quote from: madbean on May 09, 2015, 10:34:08 AM
Yeah, my calling "detection" was a bit of a quaff. It's the PTC (something I've never used outside of FFX).
A thermistor is a detection element, so you were right in the end :)

(I love when you guys use slang words and I have to search them on google and end up spending 15 min going through Urban Dictionary definitions, there are some funny ones -> http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=quaff)

pickdropper

Quote from: micromegas on May 09, 2015, 10:48:37 AM
Thanks for all the info guys! And sorry for bothering you

I have seen PTCs used in some comercial pedals at FSB dissections. Even JHS guys added one to their Morning Glory I think...
It's a good practice, a lot of people out there don't really care about what they stick into their dc plugs.... 9v is 9v and 12v  is 12v, right? :P

It's nice insurance for both customer and builder.  It reduces the chance of the user having to send it in for service and the builder from having to do the service.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jubal81

I'm seriously blown away with the engineering here. Shame 99% of people won't understand how well made it really is.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair