News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Noob problems - mangler build finished pedal doesn't work

Started by avidgrim, November 02, 2013, 08:59:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockhorst

Avidgrim, to get to your problems real fast (at least in the future) include as much information and as many details as you can about your build in the first post. Right now, I just keep coming up with additional questions before I can really help. Like: which transistors are you using?

Additionally, it might be wise to use a more colorful palette for your wiring, at least in the beginning. Really makes it easier. I use:
Red and Black for power
Yellow and Green for input/output signals
White and Purple for LED wiring and additional wiring.

So, what transistor :) Also (because of the wiring) it is very hard to check your wiring on the dc jack. I can't quite make out if you did it correctly or not. Use black for ground from here on.

avidgrim

Thanks for the tips rockhorst. I only had red and yellow wire, ill keep your suggestion in mind for the future. I'm using NKT275 trannies.

avidgrim

Anyone have a chance to look at the pictures I uploaded to offer some help?

Gledison

Quote from: avidgrim on November 05, 2013, 08:43:12 PM
Anyone have a chance to look at the pictures I uploaded to offer some help?
Hey man.
Look, I know that some people already said that , but I didn't see your answer. Did you inverted the battery snap that goes to the PCB. normally you will connect the red wire to the +9V and the black wire to the negative pad (negative ground). In this build you are supposed to connect the black wire from the battery to the -9V pad. Did you do that?
cheers
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

avidgrim

Hey Gledison. I have the black wire of the snap connected to the ring of the input jack and the red connected to the dc jack.

The 3rd picture that I uploaded shows a pretty good angle. My finger is holding the snap outside of the case.

Thanks for the help.

Gledison

Quote from: avidgrim on November 06, 2013, 02:29:36 AM
Hey Gledison. I have the black wire of the snap connected to the ring of the input jack and the red connected to the dc jack.

The 3rd picture that I uploaded shows a pretty good angle. My finger is holding the snap outside of the case.

Thanks for the help.
Hey mate! In the Mangler docs you will see that the black wire from the battery snap connects to the -9V in the PCB! The red wire goes to the ring of the Stereo input jack!
Try changing that!
Cheers

Rockhorst

Avidgrim, try the suggestion made by Gledison just above (reverse polarity). This has, in fact, been pointed out a few times in this topic now, but you might not have spotted it. If ever you see an explanation or suggestion you don't understand, don't brush over it but ask about it, just in case. I tried to check it by your photos, but the lack of color coding just made that impossible.

avidgrim

I did see that suggestion mad several times but I am including a DC jack in the build. The dc jack is connected to the -9V in the PCB. I really want to use a dc jack and I've already drilled the enclosure to include this. Really what I need is a diagram like the general wiring doc that MadBean provides that is suited to this build. Can anyone help with that?

Gledison

Quote from: avidgrim on November 06, 2013, 04:29:03 PM
I did see that suggestion mad several times but I am including a DC jack in the build. The dc jack is connected to the -9V in the PCB. I really want to use a dc jack and I've already drilled the enclosure to include this. Really what I need is a diagram like the general wiring doc that MadBean provides that is suited to this build. Can anyone help with that?
Hey mate! i attached the wiring diagram for positive ground. This wiring is for negative tip adaptor (standard ones). I got that from GGG site. Please take a good look, and as the experts here to confirm if its what you need. im also a noob and just trying to help...
good luck
Update: just found the nice and understandable madbean wiring diagram for a positive ground
Gledison

Gledison

avidgrim

That second diagram is exactly what I need except it doesn't include the dc jack. Can anyone explain how to wire the dc jack into that diagram?

jkokura

Part of the issue you're experiencing is that the Mangler is a -9V effect, not a typical +9V effect. Because of that, using a DC jack isn't recommended UNLESS you're using a voltage inverting cable or a -9V power supply. Basically, there is no standard wiring diagram including a DC jack because there is no standard power supply for this type of pedal.

Can you tell us how you're going to be powering your pedal more specifically?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Bret608

I think everyone is moving you on the right track here. I'll just add a couple of things:

1) The wiring diagram for positive-ground effects that Gledison posted is correct--the black wire of your battery clip should be connected to your dc jack; the red lead should be connected to your input jack ring. From there your dc jack is wired to the -9v pad on the PCB.

2) The only way a dc jack will work with this build is if you have a special one made for positive ground effects, such as the one Fulltone sells for their germanium fuzzes. Also, if you do get a Voodoo Lab PP2, you would have to special-order a dc plug from them that will work for positive ground. In other words, as Jacob mentions, these aren't really a standard item.

At this point, you may have damaged the polarity protection diode on your Mangler PCB. If you get the polarity for your wiring corrected, I am not sure if you need to change that diode out or not for it work. But the good news is that your caps and transistors should be okay!  :)

avidgrim

Sounds like should just lose the dc jack and just use a battery from what your saying. Problem is I already have a big 1/2 hole on the side of my enclosure.

Do I really need a special positive dc jack. I've been searching a lot online and this is the first I've heard that. Also I can't find a single source to purchase one.

:-\

Gledison

Quote from: avidgrim on November 06, 2013, 09:25:24 PM
Sounds like should just lose the dc jack and just use a battery from what your saying. Problem is I already have a big 1/2 hole on the side of my enclosure.

Do I really need a special positive dc jack. I've been searching a lot online and this is the first I've heard that. Also I can't find a single source to purchase one.

:-\
You can use a voltage inverter board like the road rage (i never did! but everybody say is a good choice),and you can build yourself. Take a look at the projects
cheers