News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

KOT?

Started by jimilee, November 15, 2013, 09:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

So I am looking for  KOT to build. clones seem to be taboo to talk about out loud. I found a vero layout, does anyone have a board fabbed or otherwise?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Mike B.

You can always use two Bluesbreaker boards in a pinch. Several folks make that board in a fabbed version - Rej, Aion, GGG, Tonepad

jimilee

Quote from: Mike B. on November 15, 2013, 10:11:33 PM
You can always use two Bluesbreaker boards in a pinch. Several folks make that board in a fabbed version - Rej, Aion, GGG, Tonepad
Cool, thank you.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Matt

You want the Madbean Aristocrat ;)
Matt

jimilee

Quote from: Dc10 on November 15, 2013, 11:07:17 PM
You want the Madbean Aristocrat ;)
yes please, do you have the build docs?

playpunk

I built the aion kot. It sounds good in my test rig, but I am having popping problems, so I think my wiring is suspect
"my legend grows" - playpunk

Rockhorst

Shameless plug: I'm offering some modded Blues Breaker boards right here:

PCB Pre-order: Boost, Fuzz, OD and Clean Blend

garfo

I have built the GGG Blues Breaker and made some minor changes to match closely to the KOT.
One thing I've noticed, and if anyone knows, the BB uses a 47pf cap to PIN 2 of the IC.What is this cap doing?The KOT uses a 100pf cap.Does this allow more or less highs in??At the mo I have a Silver Mica 68pf in there, did try a 10pf but it sounded very muffled and mid bassy...

Rockhorst

@Garfo: yes, that capacitor rolls of some high end. Similar trick used in the feedback path of a Tube Screamer. The JHS Morning Glory has an additional switch that controls an extra capacitor in the 2nd feedback path, to roll off even more highs.

garfo

Well, that is weird.With a 10pf cap it shouldn't sound muffled than with a 47 or a 100pf, or should it?When I tried the 10pf the overdrive became more bassy.

RobA

Quote from: garfo on November 16, 2013, 05:23:20 PM
Well, that is weird.With a 10pf cap it shouldn't sound muffled than with a 47 or a 100pf, or should it?When I tried the 10pf the overdrive became more bassy.
The small pF caps in the feedback loop of an op amp gain stage are usually for stability. The cutoff frequency of the filter is usually well above the audible range for a guitar. Maybe the move to a 10pF cap let too much high frequency signal be amplified for that op amp at high gain and it caused the op amp to not perform well.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

garfo

dannoceti

Can you still get the Aristocrat or will it come back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clayford

Ben has one too! built in charge pump to 18v, selectable. His demo is awesome, the board is quality, I need to get around to it.
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded