News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Crazy Question

Started by pedalman, November 21, 2013, 03:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pedalman

I ordered some Epiphone 57 pickups for a mod im doing. I assume the Gibson wire color code is the same as Epis. So when the pickups came I went to the ole Seymour web page and it says red/white  green/black so I pull out the dmm and it was a no go. after a while I realize that these are red/green  black/white. seeing that these have the covers on its VERY hard to test for polarity with the screwdriver trick. Any ideas ???

Question #2
I bought this cool coil filter mod https://www.guitarelectronics.com/c=k1wEo09gRo1HLBIkLuK72ARjK/s=WWW.guitarelectronics.com/product/PMT-HCP/HCP-Humbucker-Control-Pot-w-Coil-Filters.html
It calls for both screw poles to be in the south position. This kind of breaks the Gibson rule of one north and one south.
Do you think I will have any problems with these pickups? Maybe I should just go to walmart and buy a cheap compass
I mod cheap guitars because my local music store said not to.

pryde

Gibson PU's are normally:

South: Black start, Green Finish
North: Red start, white finish

Edit: Yep here you go:

pedalman

That what it says but its a dead test with my DMM
However, red to green and black to white I see action so im guessing that epi don't use the same pattern
im off to go grab a analog meter, compass and some tall cans
I mod cheap guitars because my local music store said not to.

pryde

Sorry I did not read your post clearly enough. I thought you bought Gibson 57's.

kothoma

Quote from: pedalman on November 21, 2013, 03:35:33 PM
Question #2
I bought this cool coil filter mod https://www.guitarelectronics.com/c=k1wEo09gRo1HLBIkLuK72ARjK/s=WWW.guitarelectronics.com/product/PMT-HCP/HCP-Humbucker-Control-Pot-w-Coil-Filters.html
It calls for both screw poles to be in the south position. This kind of breaks the Gibson rule of one north and one south.
Do you think I will have any problems with these pickups? Maybe I should just go to walmart and buy a cheap compass

Most humbuckers are magnetic south on the screw poles. So two humbuckers will look like this:

SSSSSS
NNNNNN

NNNNNN
SSSSSS

So when you combine inner or outer coils, you won't have a humbucking effect.
For your gadget you need to flip one magnet of one humbucker (like PRS does) or rotate one:

SSSSSS
NNNNNN

SSSSSS
NNNNNN