News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Software

Started by masterlk, February 25, 2011, 08:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

masterlk

Hey guys - what software is everybody using for printing water slides and or etching enclosures? I'm looking for some freeware but it has to be tested and work well. My problem is that my laster printer in getting on in years and does not have a "mirror" option so I need to do it in the software. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

crashguitar

I use Inkscape: http://inkscape.org/. It is opensource and vector based.

Haberdasher

If you're looking for a free Photoshop type program, GIMP is actually pretty good.  I've only used it to mess around with images, so I really don't know how good it is with text.
If you want a vector program like Illustrator or Corel Draw, I think Inkscape is the mack-daddy free proggie out there.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

irmcdermott

i do all of my layouts, drill templates, and artwork using GIMP. i haven't looked to see if it will mirror because my printer does it, but I'll look.

jkokura

I use Inkscape for everything.
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

masterlk

Ok, guys. I have downloaded Inkscape and have been playing around in it a bit. I have been able to "mirror" the text but when I print, only about half the letters are actually mirrored. The screen is showing that the text is mirrored so I'm not sure what's going on. Can someone that has Inkscape test this out for me? I am trying to set up to etch an enclosure. Remember don't use the mirror function on your printer properies.

Thanks.

masterlk

Ian - I am working in GIMP now and I have figured out how to mirror the image so I can print, however the fonts are grainy. That being said, this is not good for etching with pnp blue because the letters are blurry. I have inserted a text box in my project and that is where the fonts do not look good. I have both checkboxes for "hinting" and "antialiasing" checked as recommended but to no avail. Can you offer any advice to fix this?

Anybody else with GIMP experience can chime in as well.

Thanks.

Quote from: irmcdermott on February 26, 2011, 09:59:39 AM
i do all of my layouts, drill templates, and artwork using GIMP. i haven't looked to see if it will mirror because my printer does it, but I'll look.

night-B

Hi,
I'm not using gimp but photoshop but I had the same problem with the fonts.
I made an image of the exact size of what was going to be printed and the app used a standard resolution for the image. I changed the ratio of pixel/inch to a higher resolution and the fonts looked fine with no aliasing or pixelisation. Use high resolution images (even if they make 10mb on your hard drive) like 1200ppp or so.
Another problem is that in gimp and photoshop the fonts are not vectorised so they have their limit. If you want extremely big and sharp fonts use them in vectorial programs  ;)

masterlk

night-butterfly - That was exactly what my problem was. Well done. Thanks so much. Now I can get on with the enclosure etch and get my Sunking finished. I tried 1200x1200 and the file was like 250mb so I went with 600x600. That's where I will begin to experiment. I will belt out a few tasty licks in your honor!

Thanks again!

Quote from: night-butterfly on March 09, 2011, 04:02:39 AM
Hi,
I'm not using gimp but photoshop but I had the same problem with the fonts.
I made an image of the exact size of what was going to be printed and the app used a standard resolution for the image. I changed the ratio of pixel/inch to a higher resolution and the fonts looked fine with no aliasing or pixelisation. Use high resolution images (even if they make 10mb on your hard drive) like 1200ppp or so.
Another problem is that in gimp and photoshop the fonts are not vectorised so they have their limit. If you want extremely big and sharp fonts use them in vectorial programs  ;)