News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Punked on a Nautilus

Started by claytushaywood, November 25, 2013, 01:44:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rullywowr

Quote from: GermanCdn on November 26, 2013, 10:15:04 AM
Putting a turd in the box doesn't go over very well with the PP folks.  I've done it.  And it wasn't my dogs.

First class loaf!  Lol!  :)

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

claytushaywood

Quote from: jkokura on November 26, 2013, 09:40:28 AM
Yes, but not usually in circuit. You can look up the ratings you should expect for a 5C3, dark and light resistance, and you can also check into the values you should be applying to get the right brightness on the LED. Measure it up for it's resistance at dark and light, and that should indicate if it's within tolerance.

Jacob

so would I need to measure its resistance without input and with input? 

jkokura

Yeah. Basically, the LED 'flashes' via the input signal's strength. The brighter the internal LED is, the more it reduces the resistance, based on performance features on the particular LDR characteristics of the Vactrol.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

claytushaywood

Well- Paypal ruled in my favor.  So buyers dont be weary about the buy/sell/trade emporium because apparently paypal rules in the buyers favor usually.  Sucks cuz I put in like an hour of work trying to get it to function properly, but I went ahead and boxed it up and sent it back.

Quote from: jkokura on November 27, 2013, 08:48:39 AM
Yeah. Basically, the LED 'flashes' via the input signal's strength. The brighter the internal LED is, the more it reduces the resistance, based on performance features on the particular LDR characteristics of the Vactrol.

Jacob
\

I would like some information on how to measure vactrols for future builds.  Do I need to like put in a guitar signal when measuring?  Maybe like a loop pedal?

jimilee

Quote from: claytushaywood on December 06, 2013, 11:59:32 AM
Well- Paypal ruled in my favor.  So buyers dont be weary about the buy/sell/trade emporium because apparently paypal rules in the buyers favor usually.  Sucks cuz I put in like an hour of work trying to get it to function properly, but I went ahead and boxed it up and sent it back.

Quote from: jkokura on November 27, 2013, 08:48:39 AM

Jacob
\

I would like some information on how to measure vactrols for future builds.  Do I need to like put in a guitar signal when measuring?  Maybe like a loop pedal?
Good for you, sucks someone on the forum f'd you over
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jkokura

It's not signal, it's voltage. All you need to do is apply the appropriate voltage to the LED to get it to turn on. Usually, you'd do this like you would another LED: 9V plus a CLR.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

claytushaywood

Quote from: jkokura on December 06, 2013, 01:31:34 PM

It's not signal, it's voltage. All you need to do is apply the appropriate voltage to the LED to get it to turn on. Usually, you'd do this like you would another LED: 9V plus a CLR.

Jacob

Okay... So would i wire the negative lead voltage supplying LED to the postive lead of the vactrol and then measure resistance across the LDR side of the vactrol?

Before I sent it back I measured the resistance across the LDR's while I was strumming chords.  I set the knobs on the pedal to the most useable settings in the low pass mode so I would get a decent wah.

On vact 1 I got 120k when I wasnt strumming and it would go down to 20k at the lowest when I strummed loud- and it hovered mainly around 50k with moderate picking that opened the filter more slowly

On vact 2 I got 165k when I wasnt strumming down to like 50k when I strummed hard.  and hovering around 80k with medium picking that would open the filter more slowly

does this tell us anything?  I'd like to buy another board soon and build one, but I'm wondering if I should just throw down on this super expensive remake this guy is doing.  it sounds perfect though- but for $370... ehhh

check it out... anyone getting their nautilus to sound this good?
http://mu-fx-trutron3x.com/

jkokura

Do you want to just buy mine? PM Me.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

claytushaywood

Quote from: jkokura on December 08, 2013, 02:45:00 PM
Do you want to just buy mine? PM Me.

Jacob

well id rather build one, but if you have one that sounds close to that tru tron i'm in.  are those resistances not correct?  should they be matched closer?