News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Barbershop

Started by muddyfox, November 27, 2013, 02:42:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muddyfox

Hey folks!

Riding the diptrace/smd wave and having done it on vero before, I'd like to do a Fairfield Barbershop in smd. It's this thing here:

My question is basically can I just replace the entire voltage protection mosfet bit (Q4, D1, R10, R11) with a SS12 Schottky (20V, supposedly a 1N5817 smd replacement)?

Droogie

Also built this on vero—really nice sounding circuit.

From the man himself in the FSB thread:

Series diode would replace R11, Q4 and D1. Anode at E17, cathode at C17 [referring to vero layout].
Schottky because of the low forward voltage drop but you could even use almost any small signal type such as 1N4148 or 1N914.

Definitely worked out fine.
Chief Executive Officer in Charge of Burrito Redistribution at Hytone Electric

selfdestroyer

I would love to see a "board mounted pots" version of this. I have made a few version of this from the Vero that Mark did at Tagboard and also the PCB that was floating around with standing resistors (which I hate). I will contribute any way I can since I am new to Diptrace also.

selfdestroyer

I started this thread
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=12501.0

If anyone would like to do a joint effort to make this thing. I'm still learning how to use Diptrace.

muddyfox

I don't know if you missed the fact that I'm gonna be doing this in SMD. It sure does away with standing resistors (which I dislike with a passion) but it may not be your cup of tea. I was also considering doing a TH layout as well but now that you've started it I probably won't get into it and just stick with SMD. And it will definitely include board mounted pots and two trimmers.

About lvlark's layout, for some reason (eventhough I've built from his layout previously) I completely forgot to check out how he did the polarity protection and just assumed (yeah, asses and all that) that it was the same as Revolutiondeux layout, with all the mosfet bits and pieces. Whaddyaknow, he only has one 1N5817 in there, removing the R10 47R as well. Not being well versed in this kind of thing, what does that 47R does for voltage protection and is it recommended/necessary? Is it some sort of current limiter? How about that voltage drop, how much is too much? Any point in perhaps going overboard and including this?
http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/cheapgoodprot.htm

rullywowr

This looks cool, looking forward to the final board.    It appears that the 47R resistor does drop the voltage down a bit before it gets to the SAG control. 

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

muddyfox

It's gonna take a bit longer but I'll get it done. Nothing about DT holding me back, I'm just so swamped at work and at home lately that the best I can do is chip away at it. The schematic is done, I need to make some parts fit my needs better (trimmer and elcaps) and route it.

I'm also still hoping for input from the folks here about that 47R, whether to include it with SS12 or not?

alanp

Muddyfox, is the schem in the OP for this thread correct to the part numbers/values for your board?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

muddyfox

Quote from: alanp on February 01, 2014, 03:21:38 PM
Muddyfox, is the schem in the OP for this thread correct to the part numbers/values for your board?

I need to check because I'm not 100% sure off the top of my head but my board follows my builddoc to the letter (there's a pcb picture as well as a table of values). I did send you the link to the builddoc, didn't I?

alanp

- Terry Pratchett
My website

muddyfox

Quote from: alanp on February 01, 2014, 03:41:16 PM
Er, no, sorry  :(

My apologies. I'll PM you right away. If I managed to forget anyone else please give me a holla.

alanp

It was kinda funny when I got the envelope, I'd completely forgotten about it.

"... Eastern European mail? Did I order some more Russian transistors or something? Where the heck did this come from?" :)
- Terry Pratchett
My website

alanp

Soldered the board up (blu-tacked it to a 1590A enclosure, to give it some more weight and not skip around). Had to call my little brother in to read the transistors with a magnifying glass (and even then he had to guess at some letters), googled SMD electro cap orientation... wired in pots and leads... (I had to lie the board on the bench vertically, and sit the camera on the bench in front of it, being very careful to ONLY press the focus/photo button, otherwise the photo was a complete blur.)

Holy smoke, it works!

Well. I never expected SMD to ever work for me. My technique is 'orrible (solder up one pad, stick the component on with tweezers and solder one end down with the soldered-up pad, then once that's cooled, solder the other end), and liberal use of the braid was needed.

Good on ya Muddyfox, this is a good 'un :) I'll do a build report once I've boxed it up.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

jighead81

Nice job alanp! Just got my kit today :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaceSensor

thread necro

can this run on 18v?
Im worried about the 16v rated 220uF cap.