News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

which fuzz or fuzz octave? (for guitar)

Started by B_of_H, February 27, 2011, 04:03:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B_of_H

I'm kinda a fuzz noob.  I've built the byoc large beaver (sold it to a friend who started a pink floyd cover band a few years ago).  Looking for some psychedelic fuzz, funk, experimental/electronica, stoner rock type applications. 

I use both single coils and humbuckers fwiw and I have a 'macheen' and a 'sabertooth' (although i'm planning on using the sabertooth in a multi effect box for bass which i'll detail in another thread and I don't like how it sounds stock with guitar)

I'm looking at:

muddbunny
wolfshirt
poindexter
retrograde
zombii
zygote
etc...actually i'm open to suggestions

any advice or suggestions?  does the machine>(pick a fuzz) work as well as the poindexter etc..?

bigmufffuzzwizz

i've built the gruntbox which is very similar to the mudbunny and i love it. The two i've built are to violet rams head spec and it is very great sounding and very unique for a fuzz. Plus with the mudbunny you can build it to the other specs if you choose! what kind of sound are you interested in/looking for?
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

jkokura

Crazy cool fuzz sounds can be had from the wolfshirt and zombii builds. They're different than what you have already. The cool thing about the zombii is that you can get fuzz face sounds from it, but you can also get all sorts of crazy cool weird experimental sounds too. The wolfshirt has octave, and that's a different kind of sound also.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

B_of_H

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on February 27, 2011, 04:29:28 PM
i've built the gruntbox which is very similar to the mudbunny and i love it. The two i've built are to violet rams head spec and it is very great sounding and very unique for a fuzz. Plus with the mudbunny you can build it to the other specs if you choose! what kind of sound are you interested in/looking for?

well, I'm kind of a 'see what I get and try to make something of it' player/builder.  It goes back to my belief that people are far too concerned these days with sounding like a certain player/rig while that player they are trying to emulate was just using what was available at the time ala Jimi,SRV, zappa, floyd, kyuss etc...  would SRV have chose the TS808 if he had access to a ton of different pedals?  maybe but I think it was more like he went into a store and they had ts808 and maybe a SD1 and a fuzz.... and he liked the ts808 so he went with it.  I'm trying to follow that model...use what is available DIY and go with it...see what happens.  Likewise, i've always felt like Nirvana and the small clone was born out of the hair band guys not wanting that dark murky chorus sound and preferring the bright shimmery chorus.  Cobain probably just picked up that pedal because it was cheap due to low demand etc...just a guess though.  He made due with that sound out of economics as much as anything.  (I think there are thousands of these examples)

I'm a tinkerer but not in the sense that I want a specific sound, just a platform to create something and be inspired.  

btw, I noticed the sunn0 (sp?) pic as your avatar.  I'm waiting on delivery of an clone of the sunn S100 from weber that I asked a friend to build/mod for me.  (put in a ppiv master and some other minor mods that I came up with and had him figure out how to implement).  I'm stoked for it to be finished, should be any day now.  Putting it through a mesa vertical 2x12 with EV's...it's going to knock down walls.   ;D

Quote from: jkokura on February 27, 2011, 04:40:48 PM
Crazy cool fuzz sounds can be had from the wolfshirt and zombii builds. They're different than what you have already. The cool thing about the zombii is that you can get fuzz face sounds from it, but you can also get all sorts of crazy cool weird experimental sounds too. The wolfshirt has octave, and that's a different kind of sound also.

Jacob

thanks, i'm torn between those two the most...maybe i'll just bite the bullet and build both.  :)

bigmufffuzzwizz

yes you are right in the sense that those players didn't have as many options and they obviously weren't being marketed sounds in a box compared to previous existing players. in the analog man guide to vintage effects theres a interview with roger mayer where he talks about "achieving the tone of the greats" is all a bunch of bullshit. They try to compare a pedal to how a player sounds on a record but when you think about it on the record you hear that players tone mangled throught compressors and limiters and eq sections. when your pedal sounds like jimi live, then you can make that claim. also jimi and stevie ray vaughn and im sure many others had what you would call custom pedals. hendrix tryed many different fuzz faces at mannys before he left with the one he wanted. and i've heard something about cobain being given that pedal from buzz-o who influenced him into a lot of the stuff he was into.

im like you, when i build a pedal i don't know what to expect yet so i try to work with it and let it inspire me. with that being said i think there are many projects madbean offers you will get fun results with. don't limit yourself, build them all!!

yes sunn-O))) is probably the most epic band i've seen to date!! the asbestos was falling from the ceiling!! s100 are cool. have you seen the s2000?!? thats a sunn beast. i have 2 original grey face model t's(1973 and a 1974). i use pretty much all sunn gear live with the exception of my earth head and acoustic 470!
here's a piece of the collection minus a few cabs and my solarus ;D
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

B_of_H

whoa

I can't imagine a 200.  nice collection. 

night-B