Author Topic: Just Saying -- the soapbox thread  (Read 35744 times)

somnif

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
Re: Just Saying -- the soapbox thread
« Reply #480 on: March 16, 2019, 02:43:23 PM »
How did you go about adding tap tempo to the blueprint? I know the PCB has pads for tempo, but I thought that was never used in that project?

To quote the Patreon files on the Blueprint:
"Blueprint - There are resistor icons on the circuit board marked JUMP and TAP. Use a jumper to connect the JUMP parts for a standard delay configuration. To connect the PT2399 delay chip to an existing tap tempo circuit (must be designed specifically for the PT2399), but a jumper in the TAP parts instead (leave the JUMP parts empty). You can then use the 6 pins at the top of the board to connect to the tap tempo circuit. From left (#1) to right (#6), the pins are momentary SPST switch for tap tempo (connect other side to ground), ground, +5V, CV from B50K pot, and the last 2 pins connect to the digital potentiometer to set the delay time."

benny_profane

• Transistor Tickler
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: March 16, 2019, 03:18:09 PM »
How did you go about adding tap tempo to the blueprint? I know the PCB has pads for tempo, but I thought that was never used in that project?

To quote the Patreon files on the Blueprint:
"Blueprint - There are resistor icons on the circuit board marked JUMP and TAP. Use a jumper to connect the JUMP parts for a standard delay configuration. To connect the PT2399 delay chip to an existing tap tempo circuit (must be designed specifically for the PT2399), but a jumper in the TAP parts instead (leave the JUMP parts empty). You can then use the 6 pins at the top of the board to connect to the tap tempo circuit. From left (#1) to right (#6), the pins are momentary SPST switch for tap tempo (connect other side to ground), ground, +5V, CV from B50K pot, and the last 2 pins connect to the digital potentiometer to set the delay time."

Ah gotcha. Thanks, I didnít know that.

alanp

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
    • http://alanp.info/
« Reply #482 on: March 29, 2019, 12:36:08 PM »
Had a silly idea at work today... what are your entries for the following three sportscars?

Been thinking about a custom car for a week or so, and think I might be onto something...

The basic appearance and chassis would be Mercedes 500K styled -- running boards, long bonnet with louvers, that sort of thing -- while the brakes, steering, that sort of thing would be all modern, to a degree. For the drivetrain, I'm picking a Japanese straight six, maybe Nissan or something. The idea here is easily available, lots of power, easily modifiable. If there is spare money, then supercharged -- I don't want a turbo, as it conjures up images of boyracers, here.
"Hot water, good dentishtry and shoft lavatory paper."
- Cohen the Barbarian, on what is greatest in life
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Leevibe

• Electron Doctor
  • Lee
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: March 29, 2019, 07:06:19 PM »
I think you're basically describing doing a restomod. I think the idea is very very cool.

nzCdog

• Electron Doctor
  • Corey - Christchurch, NZ
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #484 on: March 30, 2019, 12:57:18 PM »
Had a silly idea at work today... what are your entries for the following three sportscars?

Been thinking about a custom car for a week or so, and think I might be onto something...

The basic appearance and chassis would be Mercedes 500K styled -- running boards, long bonnet with louvers, that sort of thing -- while the brakes, steering, that sort of thing would be all modern, to a degree. For the drivetrain, I'm picking a Japanese straight six, maybe Nissan or something. The idea here is easily available, lots of power, easily modifiable. If there is spare money, then supercharged -- I don't want a turbo, as it conjures up images of boyracers, here.

Have a look in the facebook buy/sell groups.  I know of plenty of guys who've tried these sort of lofty projects, only to run out of steam and flick the on after a lot of the hard work has been done. 

nzCdog

• Electron Doctor
  • Corey - Christchurch, NZ
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #485 on: March 30, 2019, 12:59:37 PM »
Just saying... I won an auction for a box of 65 old Valve/Tubes @ $1.50.  A good excuse to finish my valve-tester project and comb through them :)

alanp

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
    • http://alanp.info/
« Reply #486 on: March 31, 2019, 12:09:41 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61h4_aTQwIk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61h4_aTQwIk</a>

I agree with everything in this video.
"Hot water, good dentishtry and shoft lavatory paper."
- Cohen the Barbarian, on what is greatest in life
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

TFZ

• Diode Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: March 31, 2019, 07:47:11 AM »
I don't know. Last time I went shopping for a bigger electronic appliance was a washing machine. Went in there, looked at the three options in my price range, asked one question to a sales person, decided and paid, had it in my car 5min later.

Might be down to cultural differences. I've had several americans tell me they felt neglected or even offended from the service by the staff they received in german shops or restaurants. Me, I'm just happy not being bothered unless I actually want something.

Muadzin

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: April 01, 2019, 04:19:11 AM »
If I go into a store I don't even want to see a sales person until I actually need something. The last thing I want is for them to hover nearby like vultures waiting for their prey to die. Stay the hell away from me, if I need a vulture I'll let you know. Go play poker in the backroom, or chat with the nice lady behind the cashier or something. Oddly enough, there's a curious inverse ninja thing happening with sales persons, because when you actually need one there's usually no one to be found. I reckon the sure fire way to not be bothered by them is to appear to be wanting to speak to one. They'll scatter more quickly then rats or cockroaches in a room when you suddenly turn on the lights.

bamslam69

• Transistor Tickler
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: April 14, 2019, 10:17:37 PM »
If I go into a store I don't even want to see a sales person until I actually need something. The last thing I want is for them to hover nearby like vultures waiting for their prey to die. Stay the hell away from me, if I need a vulture I'll let you know. Go play poker in the backroom, or chat with the nice lady behind the cashier or something. Oddly enough, there's a curious inverse ninja thing happening with sales persons, because when you actually need one there's usually no one to be found. I reckon the sure fire way to not be bothered by them is to appear to be wanting to speak to one. They'll scatter more quickly then rats or cockroaches in a room when you suddenly turn on the lights.
Similar goes for some waiters at restaurants. As soon as you arrive, they're circling like mosquitos.
When it comes time to get the bill, or another drink.... they have tunnel vision, and look straight past you.