News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Just Saying -- the soapbox thread

Started by alanp, November 30, 2013, 07:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matmosphere

I like the idea of a female doctor who. The show has been around since the early sixties why not shake it up a bit. Missy was the best master since Delgado. A female Doctor could be a breath of fresh air.

Don't see the point with Bond though. I feel like it could be good, but I don't know how it could remain true to the source material. I think Alan nailed it, it doesn't fit with the lore of the series.

alanp

Waved an open jar of Vegemite under a visiting Canadian's nose. He didn't even taste it, but he threatened to punch me if I did that again.

Don't know why. It's wonderful stuff.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

alanp

A radio station here has been pimping Black Friday for all it's worth. I strongly get the impression that the shops here, as with Halloween, would dearly love for New Zealand to take this holiday and love it.

There's just one problem.

The average New Zealander regards the USA-ian Thanksgiving with  about as much thought as the Londoner of the 1800's regarded Ramadan. What for the love of Bacon is that? Oh well, who gives a shit...

And, therefore... Black friday?!?! Oh, I heard there are some specials this weekend...
- Terry Pratchett
My website

Rockhorst

@AlanP: same thing in the Netherlands...Black Friday sales everywhere, which is just an empty shell to host another sale...It's quite ludicrous and I'd love it to disappear again.

EBK

Here, in the US, "Black Friday" is my reminder to stay away from all stores.  Crazy people (mostly, the same breed of people who believe everything they hear in political ads) everywhere make it hard to even go on a beer run.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

stringsthings

Yeah, I pretty much avoid any store that's having a black friday sale.   I buy enough stuff as it is.
Don't need another reason to buy stuff.  The commercialization of xmas here in the U.S. is pretty awful, IMO.
All You Need Is Love

bsoncini

unfortunately black friday is starting to get big here in France.  Except the stores dont open really early and people dont fight over stuff in the store

warriorpoet

Quote from: stringsthings on November 24, 2017, 04:31:47 AM
Yeah, I pretty much avoid any store that's having a black friday sale.   I buy enough stuff as it is.
Don't need another reason to buy stuff.  The commercialization of xmas here in the U.S. is pretty awful, IMO.

I agree, although I do have a Black Friday sale going on on my site, more an excuse to do special edition stuff than anything else :D
Mzo.FX, Owner

raulduke

Black Friday has caught on in the UK.

As is typical, we are behind our friends over the pond, but we are steadily working our way towards in store stabbings and stampedes over cheap crap nobody needs  ;)

midwayfair

Everyone knows the real shopping holiday worth celebrating is the week after Christmas anyway, when everyone's returning all their junk and the stores have to liquidate all the things they stocked up on.

stringsthings

Quote from: warriorpoet on November 24, 2017, 05:48:05 AM
I agree, although I do have a Black Friday sale going on on my site, more an excuse to do special edition stuff than anything else :D

Black Friday sales online I don't mind at all.  More reason to avoid the brick-n-mortar stuff.
All You Need Is Love

culturejam

Quote from: midwayfair on November 25, 2017, 07:32:46 AM
Everyone knows the real shopping holiday worth celebrating is the week after Christmas anyway, when everyone's returning all their junk and the stores have to liquidate all the things they stocked up on.

Totally.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

thesmokingman

pawn shops in January/February after those x-mas bills come due ...
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

alanp

In my family, I tend to be the "on time" one. If I give a time, I do my damndest to turn up at that time. I'll usually worry about it for a few hours before hand, and give myself at least a quarter hour of slack time to allow for unforeseen events.

My brother and sister are a bit less worried about this. It's nice if they turn up on time, but whether this happens is generally linked to how much of an earbashing they're likely to get from Mum about it.

Mum and Dad... if they are organising the event, then Mum will have spent the last couple days beforehand setting up. (Mum LOVES entertaining people. Dad has made some wooden cases to hold glasses, etc, in storage for these.) If they're invited, and it isn't time sensitive (ie, a movie theatre who is NOT going to wait for them), they're probably going to be a little bit late.

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20180220-how-i-learned-to-go-in-circles-in-kathmandu

This is all background for that link. I get what the article is saying and all, but my overarching thought was, "How not to be late? Try planning, and turning up on time."
- Terry Pratchett
My website

Muadzin

I find that being on time depends on distance. If I have to go far I always tend to arrive ahead of time, as I factor in uncertainties and other possibilities. If I have to be somewhere close I often arrive to late because familiarity breeds contempt. Oh, I can do this, no problem, it's close, damn is it that late already?