News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Just Saying -- the soapbox thread

Started by alanp, November 30, 2013, 07:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Govmnt_Lacky

The local Classic Rock station here refuses to play any song made after 1987. I know this because the only music they play from 1987 is Guns N' Roses' Appetite for Destruction. Typically, the music played is between 1965 and 1983. Now, I realize that it is a classic rock station but, I would think they could play SOMETHING made in the last 30 years!!! AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Fleetwood Mac, etc. is all you hear over, and over, and over!!
It's like Van Halen's 1984 album coming out and hearing nothing but Elvis, Buddy Holly, and Jerry Lee Lewis on the radio!!

The funniest part is that their station breaks say "From Nirvana to Hendrix" or "From Foo Fighters to Black Sabbath." Hahahaha! I listen to that station religiously all day (it's the ONLY rock station in the area) and I have YET to hear any Nirvana or Foo Fighters!

midwayfair

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on October 13, 2018, 12:48:14 PM
The local Classic Rock station here refuses to play any song made after 1987. I know this because the only music they play from 1987 is Guns N' Roses' Appetite for Destruction. Typically, the music played is between 1965 and 1983. Now, I realize that it is a classic rock station but, I would think they could play SOMETHING made in the last 30 years!!! AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Fleetwood Mac, etc. is all you hear over, and over, and over!!
It's like Van Halen's 1984 album coming out and hearing nothing but Elvis, Buddy Holly, and Jerry Lee Lewis on the radio!!

The funniest part is that their station breaks say "From Nirvana to Hendrix" or "From Foo Fighters to Black Sabbath." Hahahaha! I listen to that station religiously all day (it's the ONLY rock station in the area) and I have YET to hear any Nirvana or Foo Fighters!

You mean 100.7? They definitely play 90's stuff in commuting hours. They played some Gin Blossoms one time, and I was like, !$#%.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: midwayfair on October 13, 2018, 01:51:09 PM
You mean 100.7? They definitely play 90's stuff in commuting hours. They played some Gin Blossoms one time, and I was like, !$#%.

Nah. It's 97.7 The Rocket. Local station down my neck of the woods. I would listen to DC101 but it doesn't come in reliably.

Funny thing is, they have a sister station on the other side of the Potomac in VA and they play 'recent' rock music. Weird!!

alanp

http://www.brianfm.com

This is my favourite station. It doesn't play exclusively rock, but it's the kind of station I think of as a "compromise" station -- good for a group of people with vastly differing ideas on what constitutes good music. Some Pink Floyd, Sabbath, as well as that hiphop song, "I Got 99 Problems". Plus Mumford and Sons, that kind of modern music, a bit of Nirvana, everything, really. (Compromises aren't always bad!)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

EBK

While driving home from a birthday party today, my six-year-old daughter who has no real history of behavioral problems spewed forth some murderous racist comments.  I'm feeling like a huge fucking failure as a parent right now.   :-[ :'(
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

Leevibe

Quote from: EBK on October 14, 2018, 09:54:48 AM
While driving home from a birthday party today, my six-year-old daughter who has no real history of behavioral problems spewed forth some murderous racist comments.  I'm feeling like a huge fucking failure as a parent right now.   :-[ :'(

Hey brother. I work with kids for a living and I am a parent of four. Your kids' hearts and their faith are their own. You're a steward but you can't control their hearts. Hang in there and teach and model the truth. You're probably not a failure but you will feel like one a LOT. That's how it is with me. Also, kids parrot a lot of stuff and often have way less understanding of what they are saying than we realize. Patience and gentle correction can be powerful. Hang in there man. Don't get discouraged.

nzCdog

Kids say the darndest things sometimes.  :-\

Sounds like an opening for a constructive discussion instead? Random comments like this from youngsters arent that unusual, you never know where they pick these things up. We always talk thing through with our kids, have debriefs after 'interesting' events... But only when everyone has cooled off a bit.  Honestly, its not always the kids misbehaving in my house.  Sometimes Dad has to apologise for a grumpy outburst, nobody is perfect... and no family is perfect. :-[  Anyway, this was supposed to be encouraging.  You're not alone bro!  :)

Muadzin

Quote from: EBK on October 14, 2018, 09:54:48 AM

The universe truly has a perverse sense of humor. A comedian once said that whatever you hate, your kids will end upp loving it or bring it home to you. That when you hate gays or blacks, your son will become gay or your daughter will bring home her black boyfriend. I wouldn't know from personal experience if that were true, but I talked to a single mother recently and she hates football (the real thing, not American power armored rugby) and materialism, and she has to go out early on saturdays to watch her son play football and all he cares about is what expensive logos are on his clothing and smartphone. And it reminded me of that comedian again.

Another thing to keep in mind that it matters not that much what they think and say right now, as kids are fickle and prone to easy influence by friends, school, the media, society in general. It matters who they are when they finally do grow up. And if you can keep that infernal smartphone out of their hands. Because that damn thing will be the biggest influence in their lives, far more then you will ever be. And do you really want to leave their education up to the beast that is social media?

midwayfair

Dude, she's six. She probably heard it from someone and has no idea what she's saying. Just talk to her, ask her where she heard it, and you'll figure out what needs to be done.

Frag Magnet

Quote from: midwayfair on October 16, 2018, 07:43:16 AM
Dude, she's six. She probably heard it from someone and has no idea what she's saying. Just talk to her, ask her where she heard it, and you'll figure out what needs to be done.
^^^^
Careful what you wish for, friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

EBK

I wish I could tell you that she was merely repeating an offensive phrase that she heard from someone else.  Instead, she expressed that she hated all members of a  certain race, and a couple minutes later, after asking us a few questions about where laws come from, she said she wished that she was the president so she could enact a law that says that all members of the race that she hated should be killed.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

Frag Magnet

Damn.

That's gotta come from somewhere; she's learning it from someone or she's maybe being bullied. I guess you get to have a really awful conversation and get to the bottom of this.
Careful what you wish for, friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

alanp

The tap water here is so hard, you use a tea strainer when you pour boiling water from the kettle, to filter out the lime that will inevitably appear after boiling the water.

I read somewhere that hard water is great for making stouts, but a bit 'orrid for making any other type of beer.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

Rockhorst

All of a sudden, the world is like a Tom Clancy novel...Russians get busted for trying to hack the OPCW in The Hague (my back yard basically), the head of interpol goes missing and Saoudis supposedly sent a 15 man hit squad after a journalist...

I'm seriously entertaining the possibility that this sort of thing has been going on since, say, the Romans and Egyptians but all of a sudden it's really out there in the open and it feels freaky and uneasy.

alanp

I'm inclined to think that the Internet is the key thing.

Back in the 80s, events could be safely buried, with time.

These days... the Internet Remembers. And also has a lot of nosey buggers on Twitter, whereas Pre-Internet, they could only tell their disbelieving mates down the pub.
- Terry Pratchett
My website