News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Just Saying -- the soapbox thread

Started by alanp, November 30, 2013, 07:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muadzin

The internet also allows all the nutters, the alu hat tin foil brigades and other like minded crazies to find each other and reinforce eachother in their crazy. In that sense its becoming harder and harder to separate truth from opinion or even fiction.

That being said I'm of the opinion that everything that we, as in the West, accuses others of doing, we're doing ourselves as well, if not worse. The Russians aren't sinners and we as hell ain't saints. It's all grey. I also find it highly ironic that we allow the Saudis to get away with behavior in Yemen that we bomb Assad for in Syria, and that it took the death of a journalist for our political and journalist classes to finally take notice what utter bastards the Saudis are. I'm afraid that the West will huff and puff a little, but the Saudis have untold billions that they are willing to spend to make us like them again, so I doubt the cruise missiles will be flying towards Ryad. And thus the people in Yemen will continue to die. With our help.

And now I'll take off my alu tin foil hat again and step down of my soapbox again.

Leevibe

Zigcat

Oh shit! Better give him a time out, Brian.

jimilee

Quote from: Muadzin on October 19, 2018, 03:18:48 PM
The internet also allows all the nutters, the alu hat tin foil brigades and other like minded crazies to find each other and reinforce eachother in their crazy. In that sense its becoming harder and harder to separate truth from opinion or even fiction.

That being said I'm of the opinion that everything that we, as in the West, accuses others of doing, we're doing ourselves as well, if not worse. The Russians aren't sinners and we as hell ain't saints. It's all grey. I also find it highly ironic that we allow the Saudis to get away with behavior in Yemen that we bomb Assad for in Syria, and that it took the death of a journalist for our political and journalist classes to finally take notice what utter bastards the Saudis are. I'm afraid that the West will huff and puff a little, but the Saudis have untold billions that they are willing to spend to make us like them again, so I doubt the cruise missiles will be flying towards Ryad. And thus the people in Yemen will continue to die. With our help.

And now I'll take off my alu tin foil hat again and step down of my soapbox again.
To summarize, have you noticed how other nations rake action while we mainly make threats? We're like bad parents of spoiled brats. If you don't stop, we'll say stop again....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jimilee

Quote from: Zigcat on October 19, 2018, 11:49:33 PM
Oh shit! Better give him a time out, Brian.
[soapbox] Often times, you have to look at both sides of a conversation, remove yourself, and look at it from a different view point. Is an individual helpful, comic relief, or disruptive.
If you look below the surface, and know the history, you will find that much more goes on than appears, and that the majority are very tolerable. Therefore, decisions are not made lightly, and nothing is ruled with an iron fist. The bigger picture is always looked at, and very fair.

I have found that hate for the sake of hate is very unproductive and extremely intolerable by the majority. These individuals are often self destructive and eventually dealt with either on their own or by the ones who moderate. Take for example, prejudices in society. Is it free speech or hate speech. Is it tolerated by everyone, or self moderated to its own place where it is welcomed?
Opinions are always welcomed, but boundaries have to be respected.
[/soapbox]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Ekimneets

O.K., not to save you some of the recent topics, but I got to get off my chest. Why are people in eBay so freaking cheap.

I have so many stories. I $90 item that someone wants to pay $20 for and want you to pay the shipping on top of that. Come on really?

A four dollar item that someone wants to bargain you down to one dollar for! That one the guy actually called me an elitist jerk for not selling it to him.

And it doesn't work the other way around. I have had people Send me offers and it specifically says on eBay didn't offer does not include shipping. I had one guy who threatened up and down to give me horrible reviews if I didn't give him free shipping because I never mention that in my reply offer to him.

I worked very hard to get 100 positive feedback.

Anyway rant over.

Let's talk about the importance stuff like land mines and endangered species like reporters.

-Mike

Typo'd from my iphone
Legion of one at Black Octopus Pedalworx.

Ekimneets

O.K., not as serious as some of the recent topics, but I got to get off my chest. Why are people in eBay so freaking cheap.

I have so many stories. I $90 item that someone wants to pay $20 for and want you to pay the shipping on top of that. Come on really?

A four dollar item that someone wants to bargain you down to one dollar for! That one the guy actually called me an elitist jerk for not selling it to him.

And it doesn't work the other way around. I have had people Send me offers and it specifically says on eBay didn't offer does not include shipping. I had one guy who threatened up and down to give me horrible reviews if I didn't give him free shipping because I never mention that in my reply offer to him.

One guy is going to ruin that.

Anyway rant over.

Let's talk about the importance stuff like land mines and endangered species like reporters.

-Mike

Typo'd from my iphone

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Ekimneets on October 21, 2018, 01:42:03 PM
O.K., not as serious as some of the recent topics, but I got to get off my chest. Why are people in eBay so freaking cheap.

Anyway rant over.

-Mike

Typo'd from my iphone

I feel your pain! I really don't use Fleabay anymore. Too much trouble! It has become the worlds largest yard sale.

On another note, I have low-balled people with offers before but, only in extreme circumstances. Like someone selling an item for $500 when comparable items (or exactly the same) are selling for $100. When they say no, I like to look back on them 6-8 months later to see them still for sale. I always wonder how they can keep paying listing fees for the outrageous.  :-\

Ekimneets

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on October 21, 2018, 02:30:14 PM
Quote from: Ekimneets on October 21, 2018, 01:42:03 PM

Anyway rant over.

-Mike

Typo'd from my iphone

I feel your pain! I really don't use Fleabay anymore. Too much trouble! It has become the worlds largest yard sale.

On another note, I have low-balled people with offers before but, only in extreme circumstances. Like someone selling an item for $500 when comparable items (or exactly the same) are selling for $100. When they say no, I like to look back on them 6-8 months later to see them still for sale. I always wonder how they can keep paying listing fees for the outrageous.  :-\

Most of mine were already fire sale cheap. The $90 item was a large Fstop photography backpack w/ insert. Well over $300 new and mine was in mint condition. Sure $20 bucks.

The $4 item was a mini wireless keyboard that I paid 15-20 bucks for new.

Definitely not overpriced and then to get upset w/ you, demand free shipping or threaten you with a bad review.

There is a Thai word, I can't spell it, but phonetically it is kean-yow and is basically a cheap bastard that I usually mutter when I'm dealing with one of those people.

-M

Typo'd from my iphone

Frag Magnet

Careful what you wish for, friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

Ekimneets

Did I leave my lube out again?

-Mike

alanp

Frag, IIRC, you used to defuse these?

How accurate is that picture? Because it looks like something straight out of the Mission Impossible movies.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

lars

Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

alanp

Bearing that in mind, Lars, I'd love to know what the CCTV cameras for the CNN mail room show. I wonder if the FBI have dusted everything for prints, yet?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

drog_trog

I dont get how the person or persons involved never thought that the packages were going to be screened before the recepient got them. So stupid.