News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Just Saying -- the soapbox thread

Started by alanp, November 30, 2013, 07:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

Count Dankula did a Mad Lads video... on the "Happy Little Trees" guy.

It's a strange world we live in.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

bamslam69

Quote from: Rockhorst on July 20, 2019, 01:33:12 PM
I just want to mention that I went to see X-Men: Dark Phoenix today and I thought it was EXCELLENT for the most part, as far as I'm concerned. It gets shit reviews but I only got a little bit distracted in the middle of the train scene at the end. I see some possible improvements (like the aliens being actually quite redundant) but it felt REAL and convincing to me. Something most MCU movies, especially the Avengers ones, fail me on. It think, together with Logan and Days of Future Past it makes my top 3 of X-men movies. Sadly, most X movies aren't that much to write home about. This one was, I believe, well executed at least.

On a related note, I'm always a little amazed at the insanely high ratings, by critics and audience, the Avengers movies receive. Other example: Pacific Rim. I'm going to rewatch that to see what I think about it now...I just remember it did NOT live up to the rave reviews as far as I'm concerned.

Related note #2, tying in to the LOTR 'plot hole' discussion: the way Midwayfair explained that one actually makes sense in that universe. All powerful beings in other films, like a Captain Marvel in Avengers, are much less satisfying. My girlfriend said that Jean in Dark Phoenix is a little like Captain Marvel in that regard, which sold the story short for her...and I can see that in hind sight, but it didn't bug me in the theater (Captain Marvel DID though).

I didn't mind the Pacific Rim movie for what it was. Take your brain out, plonk it on the lounge beside you and grab some popcorn.
Wish they'd get an Aussie to play an Aussie though. Nothing more annoying than a fake accent, hey?
I've still gotta prepare myself for the last 2 Transformers movies.... I'll have to have candy crush reloaded on my phone though for the boring endless battles.

alanp

Cinefix's Top 5 Original Movies gave #1 to an avante garde film, _Dog Star Man_, and I can't help but suspect that "avante garde" is French for "We know that normal people would never ever want to see this."
- Terry Pratchett
My website

alanp

Look upon my storage and let your OCD weep.

(The half full bin is 1/4 pedals, 1/4 eurorack modules.)
- Terry Pratchett
My website

nzCdog

Just did the plastic box thing myself.  Bottom layer of pedals, covered with an old towel before the next layer on top.

nzCdog

You hav a lot more pedals than me!

HamSandwich

JUST SAYING - I enjoyed the LOTR discourse, sad it ended before its time.

midwayfair

Quote from: HamSandwich on July 23, 2019, 07:49:12 PM
JUST SAYING - I enjoyed the LOTR discourse, sad it ended before its time.

I felt I had walked into the argument sketch.

alanp

Wow, I just read that Alfred Hitchcock, one of the most legendary directors of all time, never won Best Director in the Academy Awards.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

thesmokingman

Quote from: alanp on July 25, 2019, 04:10:53 AM
Wow, I just read that Alfred Hitchcock, one of the most legendary directors of all time, never won Best Director in the Academy Awards.
Warren Beatty and Mel Gibson have won more Oscars for best director than Stanley Kubrick.
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

Muadzin

Quote from: thesmokingman on July 25, 2019, 04:36:49 AM
Warren Beatty and Mel Gibson have won more Oscars for best director than Stanley Kubrick.

Of course they lived and worked in Hollywood, so it was easy for them to be part of the Hollywood incrowd that decides who gets the Oscars. Kubrick on the other hand lived and worked in the UK, was a social recluse and I'm not sure he ever left the UK. Even Full Metal Jacket, a friggin' Vietnam war movie, was shot entirely in the UK. When you're not part of the incrowd you're less likely to get the awards of the incrowd.

EBK

Quote from: alanp on July 25, 2019, 04:10:53 AM
I can spin this better, I think.

As a testament to his skill and resourcefulness, despite the fact that EBK has made fewer films and has worked with much smaller budgets, he has managed to keep pace with legendary Hollywood directors, like Alfred Hitchcock, in Academy Award wins.    8) ;D
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

thesmokingman

and while we're out in the weeds, the Grammy snubs are arguably more brutal and hard to take.
Milli Vanilli has more Grammys than The Who, Jimi Hendrix, and Chuck Berry.
On a positive note, no matter how many bad notes I play I have exactly as many Grammy wins as The Velvet Underground, Patti Smith, and Iggy Pop combined.
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

alanp

I haz new trolley.

My thru-hole resistors, electro, and ceramic caps are largely in small storage drawer and bin things already.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

Muadzin