Just Saying -- the soapbox thread

Started by alanp, November 30, 2013, 07:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bamslam69

Hope you're friend is ok, Matmosphere.
Horrible stuff.

alanp

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20190804-why-the-french-love-to-say-no

This article reminded me of something I've observed...

Some people genuinely, no kidding, actually ENJOY arguing. They will start an argument over whether the sky is blue or pink polka dots, for the sheer joy of it. One lady at work used to start arguments with another particular person, every day, just to pass the time while doing manual labour.

Personally, I find arguments draining and annoying, just another hoop to jump through like a trained dog before something will happen.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Willybomb

QuoteSome people genuinely, no kidding, actually ENJOY arguing
I've got a friend who thinks he good at it, or enjoys it, or whatever, but just saying "No, it's not/isn't" doesn't constitute an argument.

matmosphere

Nobody really enjoys arguing...

😜 just kidding

thesmokingman

I can admit that I will troll about something I completely disagree with (usually political) and eventually get bored because there's no possibility of acceptance of new information for them ... but I have to be really really bored to even get started.
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

pickdropper

"I could be arguing in my spare time."
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

EBK

My wife was shopping for medicine for our 7 y.o. daughter who is sick.  She buys chewable Tylenol, which is great.

While in the store, she spots what she thinks would be a good solution to getting our 4 y.o. son to take medicine when he gets sick.  He has a habit of refusing medicine, regardless of what sugary flavor it has.  So, she buys this, which made me laugh out loud:

Why the package has more than one dose, I have no idea.  The rest are for deterrence, maybe.  But, yes, that is an ear-to-ear smile on the cartoon child on the box.

(Yes, I can certainly imagine circumstances where kids could be physically incapable of taking medicine orally, in which case this product would be very valuable. I'm absolutely not suggesting those scenarios would be worthy of laughter.)
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

alanp

Tough Love, eh?

"Okay, kiddo, a pill is either going in your mouth, or straight up your arse. You get to pick which one."
- Terry Pratchett
My website

Bio77

Muadzin

Ah, the joys of having to take medicine as a kid. I remember fleeing into a toilet stall in a French rest stop to avoid having to swallow the road sickness pill I had to take. Nasty taste if memory serves me right. Kids have it easy today, in the 70's they didn't do pills for kids with sugary tastes. Well, at least where I lived.

midwayfair

alanp

Wouldn't mind seeing Mick Gordon work with Meshuggah, or even just Tomas Haake.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

alanp

Quote from: Alfred HitchcockIf you've designed a picture correctly, the Japanese audience should scream at the same time as the Indian audience.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

lars

Quote from: EBK on August 15, 2019, 05:28:34 PM
So, she buys this, which made me laugh out loud:

OK. My main question/concern is:  the box says "not actual size"...so what is the actual size????!!!!! Are we talking Tylenol or Twinkie here?
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....