News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Just Saying -- the soapbox thread

Started by alanp, November 30, 2013, 07:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

I've got to ask... has Ozzy done a reaction video?

Because... after Bradley's video... _Changes_ belongs to Ozzy, as much as _Hurt_ belongs to Trent after Cash covered it.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

thesmokingman

Quote from: alanp on September 07, 2019, 03:26:09 AM

I've got to ask... has Ozzy done a reaction video?

Because... after Bradley's video... _Changes_ belongs to Ozzy, as much as _Hurt_ belongs to Trent after Cash covered it.
that's how I feel about the main squeeze cover of whiter shade of pale
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

alanp

The thought struck me today that the fashion world are just throwing clothes at the wall, and seeing what sticks.

Can't think of any other reason (beyond the "avante garde" copout) for some of the fashion monstrosities one sees.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

Muadzin

Quote from: alanp on September 09, 2019, 06:24:14 AM
The thought struck me today that the fashion world are just throwing clothes at the wall, and seeing what sticks.

Can't think of any other reason (beyond the "avante garde" copout) for some of the fashion monstrosities one sees.

Well, you try and predict what will become popular? If you could I bet you wouldn't have time to post on the internet about, you'd be too busy cashing in. Which is perfectly fine I might add. I'd do it too.

That being said I do think some things can be predicted up to a point, just by the simple axiom of that which goes up, must come down again. If tight fitting clothes are all the rage at some point there will come a counter reaction and people will move on to baggy clothes. At some point bright garish clothes will fall out of grace again in favor of more subdued classy clothes. The trick is in being able to predict where you are in the trend. And that is why they pay trendwatchers who overall have a record of being more right then wrong the big $€$€$. And by right and wrong I mean like 60/40 or 55/45. And not everything they will try for next fashion season will work out. Just like in movies some films will suck (these days more then others), in movies some albums will flop from even the best of artists, or how on the stock market some stocks will fail as others will win. You try a lot of things and hope that what will stick will cover for the losses you'll make on the stuff that doesn't stick. And still make you a profit.

As for the catwalk stuff, that's a bizarro fest and separate universe all onto itself. 99% of it doesn't even translate into what you will see in retail.

bamslam69

My son and his friends at school have taken to tying their hair up in a pony tail on the very top of their heads, so it stays out of their eyes while playing soccer. He was walking round our house like that when we had the families over for a party. A few days later my sister sends a photo of her son wearing his hair the same way.
I mean, it looks ridiculous, but that's kids these days.

alanp

Sounds a bit like a Japanese topknot, but without shaving the front of the head.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

davent

Quote from: bamslam69 on September 10, 2019, 04:42:13 PM
My son and his friends at school have taken to tying their hair up in a pony tail on the very top of their heads, so it stays out of their eyes while playing soccer. He was walking round our house like that when we had the families over for a party. A few days later my sister sends a photo of her son wearing his hair the same way.

Good thing other generations didn't do things, wear things that were deemed ridiculous by their parents.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

bamslam69

Quote from: davent on September 10, 2019, 05:33:45 PM
Quote from: bamslam69 on September 10, 2019, 04:42:13 PM

Good thing other generations didn't do things, wear things that were deemed ridiculous by their parents.
dave
;D

lars

The entire Internet has turned into a collection of blurry shapes and crying kittens.
Thanks Photobucket!
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

EBK

Quote from: lars on September 11, 2019, 08:07:03 AM
The entire Internet has turned into a collection of blurry shapes and crying kittens.
Thanks Photobucket!
Use the blurry shapes and crying kittens as pedal graphics.  It would make a wonderful statement.  A while back, I was going to use this image on a pedal, but as I am terrible at finishing things, it never came to be:

Bonus points for leaving an empty hole in the enclosure where the stomp switch would normally go. 
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

alanp

Can't speak for anyone else, but Photobucket's new management are synonymous with money-grubbing assholes, to my mind.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

midwayfair

You know what the least majestic instrument is to play Whiter Shade of Pale on?

Banjo. Banjo is not majestic.

Sounds cool though.

(Both of my acoustics are in the shop. There is no majestic in chez Jon right now.)

alanp

When you hear any song by Daft Punk, you realise their true superpower.

The true superpower of Daft Punk is that you don't realise just how damn repetitive their songs are until a decade later.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

bamslam69

Quote from: alanp on September 13, 2019, 09:25:47 AM
When you hear any song by Daft Punk, you realise their true superpower.

The true superpower of Daft Punk is that you don't realise just how damn repetitive their songs are until a decade later.
But how good is Random Access Memories?!
Also love Groove Armada's Black Light (and White Light).
Once I finish my morning dose of Tool, I've got a playlist in order till lunch.