News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Just Saying -- the soapbox thread

Started by alanp, November 30, 2013, 07:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

Can't understand a word of Polish, but fortunately there are subtitles.

Fascinating video, and the recreation of the monk's organistrum was very cool!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

nzCdog

Amazing amount of sounds they can create with the 'Hurdy Gurdy'.  Beautifully crafted instruments too.
That was fascinating Alan...  thanks for the share.

alanp

I can't believe some people need to be told to not try and get a sun-tan on their perineum. (For those who don't know, it's the bit of skin between the playground and the pooper.)

Next thing you know, people will need warnings to not stand on traintracks while taking a selfie. (Yes, I know...)
- Terry Pratchett
My website

Muadzin

Quote from: alanp on December 03, 2019, 08:22:01 PM
I can't believe some people need to be told to not try and get a sun-tan on their perineum. (For those who don't know, it's the bit of skin between the playground and the pooper.)

Next thing you know, people will need warnings to not stand on traintracks while taking a selfie. (Yes, I know...)

The world is full of stupid and like entropy it only seems to increase.

EBK

I saw an article recently on that subject that hilariously used the phrase "butt chugging vitamin D".

Yoni Melanoma sounds like a fun band name though.   :P
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

matmosphere

Quote from: alanp on November 14, 2019, 10:03:02 AM

Can't understand a word of Polish, but fortunately there are subtitles.

Fascinating video, and the recreation of the monk's organistrum was very cool!

I have almost bought this kit a couple times. I'm going to have to break down and do it at some point.

midwayfair

I can't believe some people need to be told to not try and get a sun-tan on their perineum

'taint smart, that's for sure.

jimilee

Quote from: midwayfair on December 04, 2019, 02:36:16 PM
I can't believe some people need to be told to not try and get a sun-tan on their perineum

'taint smart, that's for sure.
Bwahahahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

thesmokingman

bought a proco rat off ebay for 61.99 ... arrived today in sweetwater packaging with an invoice from sweetwater where the ebay seller paid $69.99 plus fedex 2 day home shipping ... holy credit card fraud batman
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

alanp

I realised something at work yesterday.

When the radio is playing nonstop barbeque reggae... they say, "Alan, you need to broaden your horizons."

When the radio is stuck on the local autotune station... they say, "Alan, you need to broaden your horizons."

When one and a half whole songs play out on the local rock station... they say, "Someone change that fucking radio!"
- Terry Pratchett
My website

alanp

Came to work today and heard an interesting account.

All the conveyor belts at work have their bearings greased on a scheduled basis. The guy whose job it is was nipping around the plant with his grease gun, when he got up to our carton lift.

Now, it's a small platform that goes up and down inside a free-standing walled shaft. Boxes go into it on a conveyor, the conveyor on the platform takes them in, and then it goes up and unloads them onto another conveyor, higher up, all automatically.

So, the guy opens up the maintenance door at the bottom of the lift shaft, greases up the bearings closest to him, and then leans over the lift to grease the other side's bearings, blocking the built-in sensors as he did so.

Who can tell me what I didn't write?

He didn't lock out the isolator for the lift machinery.

He didn't even check that the isolator (and the lift) was turned off, at all.

He was damn lucky that another engineer was right there to turn the isolator off. The grease man is a tall guy, but even so he was on his tippy toes, caught between the partially raised platform and the upper edge of the maintenance entrance for the enclosed lift shaft. It was such a narrow gap his torso was stuck in, that the engineer was too scared to even turn the lift back on in manual mode, as he didn't feel they could take the chance of the platform lifting even a little bit more, so they went to the top of the lift and manually rewound the motor back by hand.

So, guess what training course a few of the maintenance guys are doing real soon.

*ALWAYS CHECK ISOLATORS ON MACHINERY YOU'RE WORKING ON!*
- Terry Pratchett
My website

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: thesmokingman on December 05, 2019, 04:34:37 PM
bought a proco rat off ebay for 61.99 ... arrived today in sweetwater packaging with an invoice from sweetwater where the ebay seller paid $69.99 plus fedex 2 day home shipping ... holy credit card fraud batman

Fraud?? I might be thick headed but... I don't understand.

thesmokingman

ok ... you have stolen a credit card
how do you monetize this in a non-obvious way?
sell things on ebay at a reasonable discount. like 61.99 shipped for an item that I believe MAP (minimum advertised pricing) is $69.99
pocket the ebay money.
use the stolen credit card to order the item you just sold from a vendor (in this case, sweetwater) and drop ship the items to the ebay buyer. if this were a legitimate business, you just lost money to the tune of $8 plus shipping costs.
secondary example
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fYZpRBuh-s
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

EBK

At the risk of sacrificing decades of built up mojo, I think it might be time to finally change out my old solder paste for a fresh batch.

Still, it will be hard to say goodbye to the old gunk, with wires, solder blobs, and even some resistors floating in its murkiness.  (I might chicken out and keep the old paste.)
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

midwayfair