News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

First Gruntbox Build

Started by bigmufffuzzwizz, March 01, 2011, 10:50:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigmufffuzzwizz

I finished my first DIY pedal build being one of those wonderful Gruntbox boards. One of my buddies asked if I could build him a Violet Rams Head muff and i knew this would work perfectly. It was a fairly simple build and went together quick and easy. Fired up the first time. The only problem was the tone pot wasn't making any change at first and the pedal was very out of control!! Almost like tone stack bypass setting on the BYOC muff i built. So I replaced it and now it's 100% functional and there is a huge difference in turning the tone from bass to treble! This also was the first time i sourced the parts for a build and all went smooth!

Sounds much different than the muff tone I'm used to. I didn't know what to expect but I'm impressed. It is much more of a classic fuzz sound to me than a doom machine. It also has TONS of sustain!

My buddy is very happy with his new pedal and said it worked super well for his latest band recordings. I built another one I'll post when i get the enclosure together. I'm also working on a demo of this beast with a 100 watt marshall. Coming Soon!!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

jkokura

Cool pics. I like the finish on the back - did you do that on purpose? How'd you do it?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

CRBMoA

NIce! Extra points for soldering EVERYTHING to the board, EXCEPT the LED resistor! Awesome!!

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: jkokura on March 01, 2011, 10:52:46 PM
Cool pics. I like the finish on the back - did you do that on purpose? How'd you do it?

It was a total accident gone right! It happened at first, i sanded it down and repainted it. Of course since i'm so impatient i couldn't wait to spray the clearcoat about 3 mins after the black and that was the result again. So i found out clearcoat dries much quicker than regular colors and it shrinked the layer underneight it! At first i freaked but then i realized it looks damn cool!! I think its perfect for the bottom and the more damaged it gets the better.

Quote from: CRBMoA on March 01, 2011, 10:59:21 PM
NIce! Extra points for soldering EVERYTHING to the board, EXCEPT the LED resistor! Awesome!!

Adjustment of the LED's brightness can be crucial!! Especially with purty purple ones! :o
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer