News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

hangin' PCB

Started by djroge1, March 05, 2011, 07:59:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djroge1

I building my first MadBean pedal and I'm just wondering what do you guys use to isolate the PCB from touching the other parts?

gtr2

I use 3m mounting tape.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

madbean

Double sided foam tape
velcro (fuzzy part)
guitarpcb.com "pot condoms" I have used these a couple of times)
very small furry creatures

irmcdermott

i use some craft adhesive foam that you can get a lot for cheap from any hobby store.

I'll either cut it to size and put it on the board, or i'll cut little squares and place them on the back of the pots.

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp;jsessionid=3A16C79796A6FE7BAC5E1C60A17E302E.a1p1?CATID=cat3156&PRODID=zprd_02358083a

djroge1

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: irmcdermott on March 05, 2011, 08:26:59 PM
i use some craft adhesive foam that you can get a lot for cheap from any hobby store.

I'll either cut it to size and put it on the board, or i'll cut little squares and place them on the back of the pots.

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp;jsessionid=3A16C79796A6FE7BAC5E1C60A17E302E.a1p1?CATID=cat3156&PRODID=zprd_02358083a

nice gotta check this stuff out!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

irmcdermott

I don't remember the exact brand that I use, the link is just an example, I bought the stuff I use at Hobby Lobby because it's across the street from my apartment. Any craft/hobby store (maybe even WalMart) should have them.

rowland1

I put electrical tape on a business card and then cut it to fit and slide it in between the pcb and the pots. Those business cards aren't good for much else...

Mark_McQ

I use the foam method too. I cut a small square a few mil larger than my board, and stick it to the case. Then I also line the lid with a sheet too.

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: Mark_McQ on March 06, 2011, 12:12:43 PM
I use the foam method too. I cut a small square a few mil larger than my board, and stick it to the case. Then I also line the lid with a sheet too.

Thats a good idea. I've been pretty lucky and haven't had too many problems with shorting until yesterday! When the pedal was facing up it sounded like it wasn't on and when i turned it over BOOM the fuzz would click in. And this would have cured it!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

irmcdermott

Now I just use the foam, but before I did, if I had traces facing the bottom plate, I would line the bottom plate with a piece of overhead transparency. In fact, I still use the transparency because I write on the bottom plate.