News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

candy tin for encosure: bad idea?

Started by mattpoole, March 06, 2011, 09:39:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattpoole

i have 3 candy tins that are 6"x2"x2". they are thin but ridged enough i believe.

i was thinking of making some pedals out them, does anyone know if using such a thin enclosure will increase noise or cause me problems?

also as a side note: i have completed a neutrino (black), what madbeans overdrive/distortion would complement it well? i am looking for a full sound with some low end. i want to put that neutrino as well as another pedal in one of those tins.

thanks for your time guys,
-matt

jtn191

I thought about the same thing after seeing this http://www.tdpri.com/forum/burnt-fingers-diy-effects/222287-sho-altoids-mini-box.html

Noise interference should be fine as long as everything's isolated from the metal...I think your main concerns are space (for switches/jacks) and the durability of this thin metal, if you plan to step on it

jkokura

Probably it would work fine!

Fuzz pedals go well in tins. Also, strange noisemakers. Low parts counts help.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

G.G.

you should be alright using a tin.  As jtn191 mentioned, space planning can be pretty important.  Also, having switches & pots attached to a removable lid can make things complicated running wires back and forth. Placing the switch close (but not too close) to an edge or a seam will help stabilize it.  Small tins are surprisingly durable, but again, you run into space problems with complicated builds.  here's a fuzz I put into a tin a while back:

bigmufffuzzwizz

Do it!! It's one of my favorite enclosures i see people use!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

mattpoole

cool i think i will, the tins are large enough to fit two pedals as long as the pcb's are less then 2" in one direction. i'll have to post some pics upon completion.